Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Wife newly diagnosed hypomanic

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness

Wife newly diagnosed hypomanic

Postby neilt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am

Hi, Looking for some advice really. My wife was diagnosed with medication induced manic episode last week. She'd been on Duoloxetine to treat migraines for months and when coming off began having withdrawals, agitation, irritability etc. The GP prescribed Fluoxetine which triggered a full blown manic episode. It's been awful. She's been in local Psych hospital for 10 days. We live in Highlands and hospital is 130 miles away so I've been staying in Inverness in hotels haemhoraging money while my father 75 looks after the kids. She's home on pass for the weekend but doesn't seem any better. It's been really hard for us both. We both work as CPNs locally for 20 years, we know all the staff etc. She's mortified when she does have insight about her mood swings, aggression and disinhibition. I know she doesn't mean what she says but deep down know there's truth in it all. It's like she's taken a truth drug. Every little issue is being cast up and magnified. I'm trying to protect the kids 15 and 13 from hearing and seeing her like this but it's impossible. If/when she does come down I can't see how we can move on, it's like the genies out the bottle.
Does anyone have any similar experience?
We're meant to be going back to hosp tomorrow to see Psych but she's saying no, threatening to stop the Quetiapine, saying she's moving out, leaving etc. I really don't know what to do.

Re: Wife newly diagnosed hypomanic

Postby beach » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Really sorry to hear this. My manic episodes began with prozac many years ago.

Being a CPN, you must know how this goes. It takes about six months to recover from a psychotic episode, and a lot of hard work. For everyone involved. The upset caused can be devastating and change life paths forever.

You are just at the beginning of it all really, not sure whether being CPNs is a blessing or a curse. Will she be compliant with meds? Its very different on the other side!

I hope you will be okay, you must be very resilient to have been in that sector or work for so long. Maybe you will be able to come through this stronger, address the issues that have been brought up, go to Relate?

Hope this isn't too bad reply. It will get easier with each day, and like all things, this too shall pass. All the best, beach

Re: Wife newly diagnosed hypomanic

Postby amaya » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 pm

It is really hard to know what the right answer is to help someone when the problem is with medication. Only a psychiatrist has the right training to know what will be best for her. I hope you will find a way through somehow. You both obviously do caring work with others and you also deserve to be cared for. I hope a way forwards will open up to you both and I wish I could think of a way to help.

What does her psychiatrist think is the next step?

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”