Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

depression and relationships

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
sirhugo

depression and relationships

Postby sirhugo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm

thought i would give my two cents on the subject matter of dealing with depression in relationships.

as a despression sufferer myself i know what a strain it can put on relationships. im sure ive made my girlfriends life a misery ay times. Ive also had an ex girlfriend who i suspect had some mental health issues, although it was never confirmed. Regardless thought i dont feel that depression or any other mental health issue is a valid excuse for treating your partner poorly

My ex would constantly scream abuse at me over the slightest tiny provocation. I got more and more common as time passed. eventually i left because it was too much to deal with. It was making me miserable and if i think about it, im sure this is where my depression first started. i tried to be supprtive and patient but we are only human and can only take so much

in my current relationship, there have been time when im particular lowly, when i can can get distant with my partner. there are also times where she irritates me hugely even though shes not doinganything wrong. But i refuse to take it out of her. its my issue and ill live with it. im not going ot drag her down with me

it seems that a lot of people try to push there partners away when there at a low point. personally i think thats nuts. these are the times you need your loved ones the most. no matter how bad i feel i know that i love her intensely and im going to hang on to what i have and that will never change. sometimes i feel that she is all i have, so it would be madness to try to get rid of her

ok rant over. not sure if it will help anyone but hopefully i didnt bore you too much

christabel

Re: depression and relationships

Postby christabel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi sirhugo

A little kindness works wonders and costs nothing.

I do apologise if I have been snappy or upset my hubby. He knows it's my illness but I don't just expect him to take it. He is a wonderful person. He must be to put up with me.

Hope you have a peaceful night and good day tomorrow. Chris

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:12 pm

hi christabel. i get the feeling that my post may have upset or offended you. that was not my intention at all and i apologise if that's the case

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Not at all sirhugo. Sorry if it came over that way.

I was agreeing with your comments. Depression is no excuse to be nasty. It probably me not conveying my thoughts very well. :oops:

Kindness goes along way. ie this morning I thought I would ask hubby ' how are you today ' for no particular reason.

Forward to this afternoon, he walked into the room and said ' I love you you know'

Now that is how they say what goes round comes round. Or it is his birthday soon and Christmas. Bigger presents??? :lol:

Best wishes and definitely no offence at all. Take care. Chris

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm

good good im glad my big mouth didnt get me into trouble again :D

very good to hear that your and making the effort to appreciate your husband. hopefully your presents are huge this year :lol:

take care

teamn

Postby teamn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:06 am

Totally agree sir Hugo

Although I'm not in intimate relationship, my relationship with friends and so are my concern, and I'm mindful t be very clear if I'm low and now just explain myself, rather than going off on one and taking frustration out on nearest and dearest. I understand that there happiness is important and I refuse to drag down too. It's not there fault I feel way I feel, so i definitely agree with you

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”