Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Welcome!

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
ModeratingTeam
Site Admin

Welcome!

Postby ModeratingTeam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Welcome to our family, friends and carers centre. As you know, mental illness can have a profound effect on family, friends and carers. This is where you can share your experiences with, and get support from, others who understand this experience.
Last edited by ModeratingTeam on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

active mike

Re: Welcome!

Postby active mike » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm

hi depression does not affect just the one who is suffering but all family and friends too

GWK

Postby GWK » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. My partner has been suffering from depression for a few years now and I've been trying to help her through this along with support from family and friends. I've never really taken the time to talk about how its been affecting me and usually have kept it to myself and let it out through walking the dogs, writing or just waiting until it passed.

My partner has suggested to me a number of times to go and speak to people about it, so even though it has taken me long time to get here. I am here now and will be looking to talk about things, let of steam and find better ways to cope with my partners depression.

She's worth the hardwork, but I need some help too.

Thanks

GWK

EverDecreasingCircles

Postby EverDecreasingCircles » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Just want to say - thanks for being there.

jessiemc

Postby jessiemc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Hello
Im new to this forum, im coping with my husband who is bipolar and my daughter who has just beene diagnosed with borderline emotionally unstable personality disorder. My daughter condition leaves me distressed and emotional drained and am having little or no support from the nhs. I am trying hard to deal with their conditions but sometimes I just want to pack my bags and leave with my 14 yr old son. The volience lying the suicide attempts are just too much and are tearing my family apart. I love her to bits but I just cant cope with it and to make matters worse she has no counseling or therapy as shes in transition between the child services and adult services and no one will let me know how long it will be before shes seen. Can anybody offer any help. Thanks

paula86

Postby paula86 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello everyone. It's almost Christmas and because of my mum's depression and life complications resulting from it we are spending this time apart, and it makes me increasingly sad how much I'm trying to do to help and how still it's too little to make a real change...I'm tired..I'm sure many will relate.... It's a difficult journey.....I hope you won't mind if I let some of my feelings about it here...

Kegs70

Postby Kegs70 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi, I'm also new on here....I have to do something. My partner doesn't like me telling people what she's like...I have to lie. Her belief is that I do not understand...however, I do. I have had depression and been treated, I suffer with anxiety every day but I fight it and continue...I have to, who will take care of her and our son if I don't? I am amazed at how little support and understanding there is out there for carers. I've spent the last 6 years or more watching the woman I love be taken from me by mental illness and yet the mental health team do nothing. They don't have the "resources". We have been left to our own devises and it's taking its toll on us all. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Who knows....does anyone care? My partner says she feels lonely...I am here 24/7. I try to get her to engage...she doesn't. I feel lonely knowing that my soul mate is just lying in bed doing nothing and isn't able to make the effort to spend time with me. I have to pay close attention to my feelings, as I am prone to slip back into a depression, fortunately I recognise the signs and seek help....but what if one day I don't? Whose looking out for me? That makes me feel helpless and scared...maybe forum's like this will help...if we share and look out for each other!! Time will tell

Kerry1

Postby Kerry1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Hello there,
I would really like to communicate with someone who has had/is having a similar experience to me. My husband has always suffered with anxiety/depression but always only in relation to his work. This progressively became worse 6 years ago when he started a new job. Although extremely capable, he's always had issues with his self confidence. He started to self medicate with drink and has habitually gone on massive benders. Things have escalated so much that he has recently been admitted to a psychiatric hospital. He is the worst I've ever known him to be now and I feel like I've lost the man that I married and have loved dearly for the last 22 years. I just want to know if there is any hope for him. Is there any chance that he can recover from this and be happy again. I so worried that I won't be able to trust him not to turn to drink in the future if his depression or anxiety get out of control again and have no idea what the future holds for us. I would just love to hear from someone who has suffered the same situation?

carol59

Postby carol59 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:49 am

I am new on here too I have a son with mental health problems he as had it sins he was 19 and is almost 40 I have had no support at all and in fact feel like his health workers think I am interfering when I bring things to there attention is there anyone who is not a family member that could speak for our son and if so how do I access this help for my son and our family I am 57 so will not always be able to help my son as much as I have and still do and I worry about his future thank you

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”