Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Anxiety

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
kjhb20

Anxiety

Postby kjhb20 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm

I have depression and anxiety, I realise I need help but I feel trapped / unable to leave the house for help. At home alone getting more anxious thinking about it . Anyone know what can be done. Much appreciated.

von66

Re: Anxiety

Postby von66 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi kjhb20

I am in the same boat as you. Several things have happened lately and my anxiety and panic attacks are through the roof.

I've got an appt at the gp on Thursday and the prospect of sitting there all alone, shivering and probably having a weep is filling me with terror.

BUT

We owe it to ourselves to seek out the help we need and push through the pain to get in front of the people who may be able to help us. Is there anyone you can reach out to on line or over the phone who can help support you?
X

mrbungle

Postby mrbungle » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi kjhb20,

Thanks for sharing this, anxiety can be awful to deal with alone. A therapist I saw a while ago told me something that helped me so I hope it helps you out as well:
Anxiety is cruel, it makes you believe you can predict what's going to happen before it actually happens. We can't predict the future yet anxiety will force thoughts into your head making you believe any situation will go badly. It's not easy to deal with but given time you may be able to convince yourself that the future is open, not as fixed as your mind is tricking you into believing. It might help to try imagining how a situation is going to go, even just going to the shop for groceries, and seeing how it compares with what actually happens. Your mind will assume the absolute worst but when you get home, it will probably have been a hassle free trip with no problems at all!

It's easy to say, but the challenge will be allowing yourself to 'jump' into things with an open mind. We never know what will actually happen so take each day as it comes and try small challenges, you will probably surprise yourself after a while!

Hope this helps you, don't be a stranger :)

elizajo

Postby elizajo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 pm

My anxiety makes me think I can tell what people think about me ... I also used to believe the intrusive thoughts about others ..and it would put me on guard making my anxiety worse ... . There are apps on play store my possible self and others that might help ... deep breathing exercises also do help ... I'm also trying the tapping techniques that I've seen on line...

Return to “Mutual Support Group”