Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

depression/anxiety and work

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
pinkrose

depression/anxiety and work

Postby pinkrose » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi
I'm new here but what brought me here today is the fact I have had to come home from work (again) due to depression and I just cant explain what is wrong when people ask why I am crying and can't concentrate or pull it together.

I was wondering if other people have a problem with being able to work with anxiety/depression.
Also what other ways it affects your life?

I can only just about work part time (on meds) I have a driving license but gave up my car because of anxiety.
I need time off but now I feel really bad having to leave work and feel like an idiot for crying over 'nothing' can anybody relate??
thank you

betterinrecovery

Re: depression/anxiety and work

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Dear Pinkrose,
The amazing thing about depression and anxiety, I believe, is that it is the way our mind and our body tell us that something is not quite right.
...a bit like if you have a bruise or a tummy ache...
Your body says "ouch",

So having a few days off can be good for having a rest and for working out how and where to get some support.

Here is a good place, welcome to here,
Talking things over with a relabel friend or family member also good.
Checking out reliable information and advice web sites e.g. Mind.org (mind selfies on you tube for example),
And this web site of course.
Also, not to over load you ...the Living life to the full. Org web site
Which I found helpful
B

cookiemonster

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 pm

We all respond in different ways personally I’m at my best when I’m at work. Seeking support here is great also maybe try a support group. Gp or meds review may be advisable

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm

hi pinkrose

I am in a similar situation to yourself. I suffer from depression and currently work part time (originally full time but had to reduce due to the depression)

about a year and a half ago I was angry, upset and just miserable in general with everyone and anything, and I could think of no real reason for this. eventually I went to a manager I trusted and just opened up. i got a few days off and went to the doctor who diagnosed depression

these days I manage work much better. im honest with them and have requested a few things like an extra break, being able to step away for 5 if I need to and reduced hours. makes it so much easier

something that helped a lot was therapy. its helps you id why you have certain negative thought patterns and how to change them. helped me a great deal

also when i was at my lowest i took more than a few days. my doctor gave me a sick line for 6 weeks at one point

i wish you the best

Return to “Mutual Support Group”