Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Need help?

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
michaeltu015

Need help?

Postby michaeltu015 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:17 am

Hi anyone reading

For those who don't know me, I've been in a 3rd world country jail undergoing trial which is going at snail's pace with gaps of up to 5 months between hearings. Meanwhile, the Koreans and a Danish guy have at least one hearing every month because they have good embassies. The UK consul says it is none of their business.

What really annoys me is that my brother has s high position in the Foreign Office and contacts who could probably help me get things speeded up. But he will not get involved and instead delegates another relative to call the consul who as I said are useless and never visit me either. My brother obviously thinks that letting it be known he has a brother in jail will compromise his job. If our roles were reversed I would be doing everything possible to help.

I'm at the point now where I want to let rip at him. He calls once a month on a free app, asks how I am, then says he has to fix lunch for his partner so about 2 minutes at most conversation.

Am I expecting too much of him? Please give your honest and blunt opinions I won't get upset. My brother in law feels he has really let me down so I'd use him to communicate with brother. I refuse to allow myself to get angry at him.

capitalt

Re: Need help?

Postby capitalt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:53 am

It's possible he cannot get involved as it could be seen as 'pulling strings' which could compromise his job.
Perhaps you should rely on your legal team, and take their advice.
Good luck.

rsxo

Re: Need help?

Postby rsxo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi michaeltu015,

In any governmental position, you are always taught to be impartial, regardless of who is being detained. I know it can be hard to see your brother seemingly do nothing, but the truth is that he is simply doing his job and can't do any more without putting his job at risk for preferential treatment. This doesn't mean that he doesn't care about you - he is doing what he can within his limits, and that's as good as he can do without giving up his jobx

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Mutual Support Group”