Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Having difficulty counting my blessings

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
lobster

Having difficulty counting my blessings

Postby lobster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

I know I am lucky in many respects, ie there is a roof over my head and I have food on the table and clothes to wear. But I also feel empty. Alot of stuff I have is stuff I don't want. I am on anti-depressants and am unable to hold down a job as I have an acquired brain injury which, on a bad day, means I have serious lows and don't eat or see the point in anything.

I am what I think is the middle/tail end of a bad depression when I had just had enough of life. However I seem to be climbing out of it. No idea how I'm doing it.

I have a support worker but it is still up to me to get through each day myself on my own.
I would welcome any supportive comments as I am v low. My family have no idea how much of a struggle life is for me when I am this low.
Thanks for reading.

deb1960

Re: Having difficulty counting my blessings

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Lobster

I've just seen your post. You have trouble counting your blessings. Depression robs us of a fulfilling life. It involves a fight everyday. It is for many something we have to fight alone, as in your case, it still carries stigma and ignorance. Added to that you have a brain injury. I think your blessings are well hidden under a difficult life.

Can you tell your parents how tough things are ? Do you live with them or alone. This is a supportive site though often quiet as many of us are struggling just now. ( today is the first day ive felt up to looking at. new posts) but do post again.

Take care

Deb x

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi lobster,

Sorry to hear about how you're feeling - but it's a good sign if you're able to talk about how you feel!

I'm glad that you acknowledge and are able to appreciate what you have - a place to stay, food to eat, clothes to wear. These material things are the basic needs in our lives, so they are important as a foundation for our wellbeing.

However, you also mention things you have that you don't want. If you don't want them, what can you do to get rid of them from your life? Bonus points if you can find someone else who could find use of those things - you rid yourself of something you don't like, while giving someone else something they will like!

When we are feeling down, I find it's really helpful to look at what we have and appreciate what we have. It gives us grounding, and something to build on top of. It sounds like you're doing it already, which is great! Now, you have to take that foundation as a springboard to achieve. If these things are secured, you could look for a job that caters for your needs specifically - of course it will be hard, but the financial security will help build that foundation, as well as open some opportunities for more activities that make you happy! Or, you could look to set up as a freelancer/private worker, which gives you more control over your working hours etc.

You're doing much better than you give yourself credit for! Channel your inner gladiator, and keep battling hard through the hardships in life!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

lobster

Postby lobster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks both for your replies, it means alot to me. Am feeling more positive now. I hope you are doing ok. January is a difficult month.

I went to the gym to get the endorphins going and did two classes which really helped.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:32 am

Hi lobster
I hhate January.and I think it's a bad month fot lots of people. Roll on Feb. It's my husband's birthday on the 1st and if I'm up to it we're going into Glasgow (it's only 17.miles away) for the night.

Two classes at the gym. I'm well impressed. My exercise is a poor 2nd to yours. I bought an exercise trampoline this week and jump up and down a hundred times at morning and night. That works out at well under 5 minutes exercise.

Lovely to hear from you
Take care
Deb x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”