Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

A Dog for Therapy ..........

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
mezzaninedoor

A Dog for Therapy ..........

Postby mezzaninedoor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 am

Been reading around the therapeutic qualities of pets and we have just got a Cocker Spaniel which is proving a real blessing for myself. It has a number of aspects that are helpful, Stroking and Petting the dog is therapeutic as is the unconditional love that a Dog has. Additionally I am, motivated to get out for 2 brisk walks a day to walk the dog, a sort of contract of ownership with the animal.

Other folks have written that:-
Studies have recently shown that given the effect of pets on those with mental illness they should not be seen as secondary sources of support, but primary.
If you could have a dog that would offer comfort and love, that takes away a fraction of our loneliness and gives us a sense of worth by caring for something, You would feel like you could get your head out of the place where it always is.

Isap

Re: A Dog for Therapy ..........

Postby Isap » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Mezza

Agreed and good move on your part

Ive heard of care homes which have therapy dogs

Ive got a stray cat but it only stays if you give it food

Isap

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Deffo a good move.
Im going to miss Millie when Im in USA for Christmas and New Year and will need to really push myself to exercise.

screwedup

Postby screwedup » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:14 pm

I just wanted to say that my dog has been more important to me than anyone could imagine. In those very dark moments there have been times he's been sat beside me, or I've realised I didn't say goodbye to him before I left the house, and my train of thought would change.

Cuddle your dog, or your cat, value them and love them :)

emloja

Postby emloja » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 pm

My pup has saved me and i am sure things would be much worse without her. It is funny but somehow even when i didn't feel like caring for myself that much i was able to get together the energy to walk her- this i do believe got me through my lowest days- just getting out into the air and around nature. I think people underestimate the power of pets (despite all the research out there) - i just hope she gets to live a long life. It is also lovely to watch her play and have her to snuggle up to. My pup is able to sense how i am feeling and will act accordingly- she also likes to take naps with me. She also has a tendency to give comfort to sick or older people- some extra sense- so to see the joy on other's faces is priceless. I hope to train her so she can be a Therapy dog- just have to stop the jumping up and dog kisses, otherwise she won't pass the training.

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Lovely :)

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm

All your replies make me feel worse and realise how ill i must be. I would never have the energy to walk a dog and could not deal with the stress of organising vets appointments. Deb

beach

Postby beach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:10 pm

I had cats for many years and they were fab. They get me through each day even now they are passed, remembering them. Like Deb though, I dont feel able to have another pet just yet. Maybe next year. It is certainly something to aim to. Love to watch the dogs on the beach.

And found a channel called KittenTv on Amazon, which has hour long episodes of kittens playing. Watched one earlier, they were being dropped into a play area in a 'hot air balloon' one at a time. They play until they fall asleep, while classical music is being played. For those not yet able to have pets :)

Return to “Mutual Support Group”