Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Memory

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
beach

Memory

Postby beach » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Having increasing difficulties with memory. Grandmother had Parkinson's but otherwise no genetic predisposition. The last five years have relied on writing everything down, but not attributed it to anything. Told today by psychiatrist that people with mental health problems are much more likely to get dementia. Now realise that I need to write everything down...to remember it! Takes up a lot of my time, but am glad that am developing some sort of workable system.

Looking into raw vegan diets to off set this. Any comments, experiences regarding memory difficulties, problems with decision making, welcome. Thankyou.

amaya

Re: Memory

Postby amaya » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 pm

My experience with memory issues is that stress can be a big factor. If I start using lists it is a sign that there is more going on than I can handle and so it means I need to slow down. Could this also be the case with you?

The only time I ever had real memory loss was when I was taking amytriptaline (sp?) it really affected my ability to function and do simple sums in my head. So if you are taking any meds which could be affecting you in this way I would also go to the doctor for a meds review.

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 am

Hi beach

Meds can really affect memory, as does stress as A may a says. My memory was terrible my first two years in jail but has improved a bit recently. I am 60 though. I still find it beneficial to write things down anyway.

Isap

beach

Postby beach » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am

Thankyou, I guess stress is there... bit of a vicious circle when you feel stressed about having to write everything down. Over time am getting quite organised with it. So much in news at moment about dementia. I dont take meds Amaya, unless its absolutely necessary, try and live healthy but not puritan! Balance hey, who'd have it? :)

Isap

Postby Isap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:59 am

I was living with my gran when she started getting dementia. It wasn't loss of memory, it was things like imagining people in newspaper photos were talking to her, or getting paranoid that people were stealing things off her. The memory stuff came much later.

So I don't think you got anything to worry about

Isap

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi beach,

I can relate - my memory is quite poor as well (probably due to a combination of disabilities to be honest), so I find I'm writing things down all the time. Not a problem though - we just have a different way of storing information, that's all!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

amaya

Postby amaya » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Do you mind if I ask how old you are Beach?

And what is stressful for you at the moment in your life?

Return to “Mutual Support Group”