SANE Support Forum

Possible Schizoid Disorder.

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
ian71

Possible Schizoid Disorder.

Postby ian71 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Sorry for repost, Wrong forum.

Hi and good morning.
I am a middle aged male who believes to be struggling with a possible Schizoid disorder or some thing along them lines. I have always felt that i stand on the edge of society and never really belonged anywhere.
Not until recently have i started to look into my personality and the way i am, and even question my own lack of empathy. i am quite confused to be honest.

In my life from a very young age I have struggled with friendships, relationships and just, well connecting to people. I struggle maintaining flowing conversations that end up flat or awkward on my behalf. I don't care for meeting new people and when i am in groups i can become distant, emotionless, agitated and struggle to find words or have an appropriate response, i neither react or retaliate in any form of aggression. I also struggle with small talk. I find it awkward and challenging. It seems like my life has been spent with people asking me, whats wrong, are you alright?

I can count my friends on one finger and i havnt cared for sex in years.
I have always preferred to work alone as i find the same people around me tiresome and irritating after time and at the moment i am embarking on a new career solely based around working on my own. I keep myself to myself and everyone else at arms length and all my hobbies of activities are kept to myself.

I question my empathy, i dont feel much at funerals including the passing of my mother and any major incident involving any family members, say illness just comes across as a problem that needs to go away. I havnt seen my sister in years and never took the time to see her when she had children and my father gets on my nerves. I do care for my wife though and it pisses me of if i think people are doing wrong by her and i love my dogs.
I used to be more social when i was younger but a large part of my life was shrouded in recreational drug abuse so i believe i have been masking my problems for a long time, its only as i get further away from drugs do i understand myself more yet i still smoke marijuana on a daily basis.

I have been seriously considering going to visit a GP and Psychiatrist for some time but have been putting it for for nervous reasons. Also it seems like a big deal to me to explain all this to my wife. I really don't know how she would take it. I would like to know if i have this disorder, it would answer a lot of questions.
I could go on and on but If you read this all, thanks for reading.
Last edited by ian71 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teamn

Re: Possible Schizoid Disorder.

Postby teamn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm

hi,

you may not be emhthetic, but your post definitely brought a smile to my face, I guess yiur sense of humour is a bit like mine. I guess it wasn't meant to be funny, but when yu spoke of how you felt with people at work, I felt what an honest statement, I think many peole may feel annoyed by peole at work and often prefer isolation, well I do anyway, lol

I don't know much about any mental heal illnesses, just about understanding post natal .depression, (what I have), so cant offer too much of an opinion on what you think you may possibly have. But I think the fact that you are noticing and observing your behavioviour is great. Many people just ive there life, wthout any self relecftion.

Does your issues affect your life other than conversation and relationship building, I mean you work, are marries etc, don't seem to care for friends but are yiu sad? I guess I'm trying to understand why now, do you want to discuss with yur wife and GP.

I think depending on what type of person your wife is, once you go to GP or do bit more research about what your symptons/behaviours men, then you can talk to wife.

ian71

Postby ian71 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks teamn.

"you may not be emhthetic, but your post definitely brought a smile to my face, I guess yiur sense of humour is a bit like mine. I guess it wasn't meant to be funny, but when yu spoke of how you felt with people at work, I felt what an honest statement, I think many peole may feel annoyed by peole at work and often prefer isolation, well I do anyway, lol"

I think i own a descent if not quirky sense of humour and sometimes out of line. My sense of humour keeps me afloat sometimes but regarding work i just dont care for working with people full stop and if it looks like im in for the long run, relationships will always go wrong and i end up withdrawing into myself and resenting them and my job, this happens in no time at all, its a life long cycle really and where i believe the disorder comes into play.
I am not actually sad but i do have times when i can spiral into a bit of a depression, this usually happens when i have to spend time in teams at work and the above happens or maybe i just wake up broken, i am confused by my own emotions some times.

I will tell my wife, i have mentioned i struggle socially and i have already mentioned a psychiatrist and she looked surprised but i need to know the truth and not presume i am what i am before i truly know myself.

I hope you beat your own issues teamn and move forward in life. Appreciate your response.

amaya

Postby amaya » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 pm

I have been doing some extra reading lately and it also sounds like autism is a possibility.
But yeah, I think you are right about going to the doctor, I think it would be a big relief for you if you knew there was a reason for how you were. It sounds like it is bothering you.

sirhugo

Postby sirhugo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Your post also brought a smile to my face for two reasons. firstly your brutal honest was highly refreshing. find someone that open and honest is rare. secondly i identified with a lot of what you said. i have had issues with communication for a long time, and have a similar feeling of annoyance and irritation when it comes to small talk. id rather spend time alone and rarely get involved in group activities.

someone one suggested Aspergers to me, it sounds like it might apply here. you may be reluctant to open up to a doctor or counsellor. but m sure there are web based support services you could look into

all the best and good luck to you

teamn

Postby teamn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:46 am

hi

thanks so much for your well wishes to me, while your going through your won stuff. Iys great that you already mentioned it to your wife and I hope you get to find or get referred to therapist or psychiatrist that can help.

the confusion of emotions Is frustrating, your clearly an intelligent man, and I do hope the support you receive begins to give clarity on some things for you. even though you say relationships end up broken, thank goodness you've got your wife , that says something about you and obviously about the strength of your relationship..

speak soon but of not try t enjoy the weekend, hopefully you dotn work weekends

mentalhealthdiary.com

Postby mentalhealthdiary.com » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 am

Hi!

I have the diagnosis of Schizoid Disorder and whilst not a medical professional a lot of the traits/experiences you mention in your post sound very similar to ones I have had in the past.

I would definitely recommend going to see your GP (I know that is much easier said than done). I actually got forced by my partner so having that push there was the key for me. Unfortunately it's a long process (I imagine it differs from postcode to postcode) you really just have to keep going and pestering. As a rough guide this is what happened for me:

Saw GP - depression, given anti depressants
Back GP after 4 -6 months - still depression given higher dose
Back to GP after 9 - 12 months still depression given more drugs & offered a 7 session therapy thing by MIND
After those sessions the therapist recommended further help so moved care over to the community mental health team, saw therapist there for approx 6 months & received my diagnosis.
Put on waiting list for DBT (waited 3 months)
Did a bit of DBT, wasn't work so put into RO DBT (still there now).

So if you need help, go ask...sooner rather than later because they can take the piss in how long things move along!!

Not sure if it would be any help but I have a daily live blog about my experiences - you might be able to relate. It's here http://www.mentalhealthdiary.com

Hope you get sorted :)

amaya

Postby amaya » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:47 am

I thought DBT was exclusively used for people with Borderline. Or do I have that wrong?

beach

Postby beach » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi... you mention you still smoke marujana, which definitely triggers schizoid experiences in some people. Are you able to stop, if not it would suggest you are addicted to it. Fairly obvious statement really, and please dont shoot me for giving this message!

I have bipolar and have had quite a lot of schizoid like experiences in my life. I also had a two or three year period smoking weed (before it was skunk), and that certainly contributed to the problems. If you want to start improving your mental health, ditch the drugs. Replace them with things that are good for you, exercise, good food, camomile tea....

As you get older, the weed will only make things worse for you. Sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate tidings, and all the best, beach

ian71

Postby ian71 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:54 pm

beach wrote:Hi... you mention you still smoke marujana, which definitely triggers schizoid experiences in some people. Are you able to stop, if not it would suggest you are addicted to it. Fairly obvious statement really, and please dont shoot me for giving this message!

Thanks Beach. I felt like this before i ever found weed so i kind of rule that out, although weed definitely makes me withdraw more in life and become less productive i am quite happy in this world. Even then i try to keep it for the evenings.
mentalhealthdiary.com wrote:Hi!

I have the diagnosis of Schizoid Disorder and whilst not a medical professional a lot of the traits/experiences you mention in your post sound very similar to ones I have had in the past.

I would definitely recommend going to see your GP (I know that is much easier said than done). I actually got forced by my partner so having that push there was the key for me. Unfortunately it's a long process (I imagine it differs from postcode to postcode) you really just have to keep going and pestering. As a rough guide this is what happened for me:

Saw GP - depression, given anti depressants
Back GP after 4 -6 months - still depression given higher dose
Back to GP after 9 - 12 months still depression given more drugs & offered a 7 session therapy thing by MIND
After those sessions the therapist recommended further help so moved care over to the community mental health team, saw therapist there for approx 6 months & received my diagnosis.
Put on waiting list for DBT (waited 3 months)
Did a bit of DBT, wasn't work so put into RO DBT (still there now).

So if you need help, go ask...sooner rather than later because they can take the piss in how long things move along!!

Not sure if it would be any help but I have a daily live blog about my experiences - you might be able to relate. It's here http://www.mentalhealthdiary.com

Hope you get sorted :)

I am on the brink of going. I would like to know how your wife took the news or did she kind of know upfront, you did say she pushed you.

I will refuse anti depressants point blank, i am not depressed in that way. I believe i know what the issue is i just need to clarify it so i can understand myself better and stop searching for answers.
Many regards, i will check out your blog.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”