Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

In a bad way

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
teamn

Re: In a bad way

Postby teamn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:13 am

hi deba,

hope your taking your dads advice and doing whats best for you still.

in regards to Samaritans and training, ive learmt something new, I really had no idea the volunteers were trained, as on the times ive called them iexperienced any but effective support,i often got off phone feeling frustrated , or feeling that I was just speaking to myself. I must have got through too many new people, as my impression of Samaritans is that the don't have any training or If the do very limited.

I'm not sure if its because of my career and that I thought this, its like when go to therapist, or deal with HV ,or social workers or even on my mindfulness course that I attended in October, I find peoples skills limited. although I appreciate what people do greatly, and allow each to do things at their own ;pace and in own style {my management style is 70 percent laisse fairre} I do feel t needs to be effective, and its very easy in all routes of life to believe one style of a thing fits all, and in emotional support, mental health support, effective listening and support of someone you potentially meet for fitst time is very hard, and yiu need flexibility as one size doesn't fit all.

No complaints from me about Samaritans though or anyone out there, I appreciate the fact places like them, this forum , doctors therapist, everyone in caring profession or public sector exists, as they do more good than harm for millions of people day after day, and often for free or a wage that doesn't reflect the work. unsung heros

sorry cant rechange all errors I did lots believe it or not :lol: :o , currently at the edge of single bed my position all night, while daughter sleeps beside me arms akimbo , lol.. so balancing tentatively desperately tryimg not to fall off as I reach down typing with one hand, to the keyboard at the end of bed,, theses post has taken 40 min to type, lol...

how are you today, do you have interesting things planned for your day or weekend,

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am

Hi Natalie

I've cancelled my mum coming up. She was actually fine about it.

This is just bleeping out of battery and so I must go,

Deb x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 am

When I was in my deep depression 16 years ago I developed a terrible sleep problem which I've mentioned here. Until the last few days it didn't come to anything but now it's back. I realise that it's not just the experience I'm scared of but also the association. I can't get it out of my head that I'll become really depressed again. So far in this episode of anxiety I haven't had any depression but the sleep issue seems to change it all.

My understanding of me mental health and my lifestyle are radically different now but I'm so scared .. I think the sleep problem will bring depression with it.

Obviously I've got to carry on regardless and to an extent I can say, well that's the way it goes,. Realistically the sleep is totally anxiety related and so isn't so surprising it's here. But it's horrible.

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Debs

I totally relate to what you're feeling and know how horrible it is.

The reason you haven't had a recurrence if depression is because the venlafaxine is working. Just tell yourself you can't possibly get depression.

The sleep problem is 100% anxiety related. It will pass.

In Claire Weekes book "Hope and Help for your Nerves" she has a chapter about sleep and things you can do to help.

Isap xx

amaya

Postby amaya » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 am

Deb you have come a long way since the last time things were really bad. It is almost impossible not to make those associations I know, but try to think that you have learnt a lot since then. If your body and mind are about to have a period of extra struggle because of missing sleep then you will be able to handle it way better than last time. But it could also just be a more short term thing. I think every person on the planet goes through short periods of insomnia for all sorts of reasons, so if you had never ever in your life been ill in any way, this might still be happening. It doesn't have to mean what it meant before. Just do whatever you need to to get the rest you need and try not to worry about it so much, because that will help keep you awake. Try to think every day is a new chance for sleep, it doesn't matter what happened last night.

*hug*

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Isap and Amaya,

Thanks for your posts. As you say it's 100% anxiety. I think mental illness throws some horrendous symptoms at us and it's easy to feel floored by them. The amount of work we all have to put in just to keep going is exhausting. I think the fact that my anxiety has been getting worse over these months doesn't help but I presume that can happen.

I remember once having a depression without any anxiety and I suppose this is the opposite. I have to hope so.

Deb x

amaya

Postby amaya » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 pm

I think any combination is possible. You can get through it though, that I know x

Isap

Postby Isap » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 am

Hi Debs

I read this on another site but definitely true

Anxiety is not linear, I.e. it doesn't become progressively worse although it may seem that way. It spirals up and down so you get periods of calm in between.

Its helpful to think of it in this way.

Isap xx

amaya

Postby amaya » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 am

How are you doing today?

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Isap,

What you say about anxiety not getting worse does make sense. Unfortunately I'm finding that my anxiety, whilst probably being at the same strength, isn't easing. From what you say it will. I don't think my mental health has been such a struggle for years.

Debs xx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”