SANE Support Forum

In a bad way

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Isap

Re: In a bad way

Postby Isap » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Debs

Well done!

It was because yesterday was a success that today is bad, just that extra bit of pressure to do the same.

Bit you're on the right path to recovery

Isap x

jazzrose343

Postby jazzrose343 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi Debs,

I am so sorry that you have been feeling this way.

My thoughts are with you at this time.

I have been ha ing a struggle recently but you have done so well to get through the past couples of days. Kepp going!

Hugs and live x

Laura

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you everyone, the support on here helps so much.

I think you're right Isap. I desperately wanted a repeat of Friday. I really thought I'd cracked it! I went to help in the charity shop yesterday. Although I could feel the fear at the back of my head I managed to be well distracted. When I went for my bus I managed to concentrate on things around me but it was harder but at least it kept the fear at the back. I managed the evening and was able to read for a while when I went to bed.

At least it means that although the fear is escalating in your head and feels massive, it can be quietened and hasn't really taken over your mind. Strange though, the minute fear creeps in it changes the whole story.

So how today will go I don't know. I'm trying not to work it out.

How are you Isap?

Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi Debs

Thanks for asking. I was answering that question on another thread then aborted it, I'll try again tomorrow if I can find the willpower

Isap xx

amaya

Postby amaya » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Focus on your own breathing can also be helpful. Just listen and accept it and don't try to change it. If it is fast through anxiety try to listen to that and be kind to yourself with your thoughts. Accept it as a natural process and give yourself permission to feel what you feel. Paying attention to difficult emotions through the effect they have on your body in this way can sometimes be calming because you are giving yourself kindness, attention and validation. Sometimes the feelings pass quicker because of this, but when they don't it can give you a little distance from what is hard and makes the duration of the bad moments easier to bear. Just another idea to try.

I hope you will have a great sleep tonight and a good week.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:23 am

On Tuesday my fear was beginning to snowball again. I managed to focus on colours again and my afternoon was fairly good. The same on Wednesday and Thursday and by Thursday my mood was very good. I thought I had nothing more to do than focus in the morning to settle my thoughts and then the day would pick up. But on Friday, although my fear was in the background my mood was low (in connection with my anxiety). Saturday was worse and today I feel miserably resigned.

These last three months have been totally different from any anxiety before. My meds are doing the job on the depression front and that's important. I don't know what's happened re my anxiety. It hasn't been so persistent before. I have to hope that I can adjust over time as I don't see it going.

Deb x

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:00 am

Hi Deb

Glad the focusing on colours has helped. Shame about the anxiety increasing but it can decrease too. I find guided meditation helpful in dealing with anxiety, maybe it will help you too? Isap posted some links to guided meditation here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30228&hilit=Isap

Take care of yourself.

amaya

Postby amaya » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 pm

The colours are basically a grounding exercise to use senses to take you more into reality than the fear of your internal experience. If colours aren't working there are also your other senses to try, you can try to find three or four different sounds to notice around you. Or touch a few different surfaces to feel something.

But I do think nothing will magically work everytime. Sometimes I just have to call someone because I can't get through it alone. And that is okay too.

And that is what I wanted to say.. there is nothing wrong with being anxious. It is not nice for you, but there is nothing wrong as such. Anxiety is a natural self protective function gone into overdrive. Your unconscious processes are trying to protect you actually.. it means that at your core you care about yourself and your survival. If you can accept that you are fundamentally good, even the parts that are giving you a difficult time, then maybe you have a chance to let your inner self know that it is safe with you and it is okay to rest a bit. I haven't managed this myself yet, but I find thoughts like this are the beginning of some kind of progress so I wanted to share it with you x

teamn

Postby teamn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 am

Hi Debs,

Just wanted to say, I'm glad antidepressants are working and hope that the anxiety evens out too,

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks Natalie

As long as the depression stays away I can cope. I've never had problems with anxiety that have lasted. I'm very lucky in that I can get out and maintain a busy lifestyle. I've been on these meds for many years. Because they work so well on the depression I can't change them. I've found, in Scotland anyway, that the medical profession consider living with a lot of discomfort in mental illness perfectly acceptable. It's the Scottish Recovery Network which in theory is good but lets mental health workers off with poor results.

Thanks for thinking of me. How are things with you?

Deb x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”