Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

In a bad way

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
deb1960

Re: In a bad way

Postby deb1960 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Just saw your post Natalie thanks. I was at the mental health drop in today. I'm glad to be back to normal

I'm working at accepting where I am, not just on my better days but on crap days. I've always expected it to go away before and it has. Given it's somewhat worse and longer I am avoiding working out how things will go. I have to live with this. If I handle it well then it has much less of an impact on my husband and I get some satisfaction from that. Really, there are endless people who smile through the pain and I know I'm luckier than so many.

For years I've looked for heroes in history that I can learn from. Lately I've realised we have to be our own hero. Our experience is unique and no-one else has faced our challenges. On this forum though we can at least know that we're not alone.

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 am

Hi Debs

Acceptance is the only way. All the good self help books focus on it. Unconditional acceptance, letting your body throw at you whatever it wants, without being so upset by it. Utter surrender, letting go of the tense hold of yourself. Not so easy in practice but you have to give it time. Thats what I practise every day.

Trying to identify with heroes in history doesnt work for me. They probably didnt have mental illness. For me, its all the other strugglers with the same condition that I cant see. But finding inspiring bible verses to write down and read over is a help however small.

Isap xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi Debs

Just in case youre interested, that devotional daily yearbook is free online

odb.org

Whats more, it appears solidly non denominational pan-Christian, but definiteljy not JW

Isap xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for that Isap. I was actually looking at it this evening and liked the look of it.

Yes I will download it. My brother Patrick gets Magnificat each month (a Catholic devotional) I considered that but decided against it.

Debs xx

teamn

Postby teamn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 am

Hi debs

we are definitely our own heros, its nice to see in other in history that ther are other nice huble, brilliant o unique humans, but yes we are our own heros, totally agree. We all have our cross to bear and we hav eto get across the finish line is, wherever that is, its different fro everyone.

I do like reading about anyone that's overcome or achieved, my background makes me honour civil rights leaders and women who have made it through odds and become leaders in their fields, whether that's writers, public speakers or ancient queens, or ruby wax. I find reading or remembering aboit them sometines gives me encouragement to continue.. but I don't idolise anyone, but do recognise strengths and determination

were not alone here but It also helps me to remember I'm me here, meaning that my individual reasons, fears, problems, issues, happiness, sadness, pain, rage is all volid, or else yiu can start to look and think well I'm not as bad as such and such why am I complaining, but we each have our own journey, and acceptance is key and honesty is key. and I now many of us probably have smiled through pain for many years, I know I have, and probably still do, its only in forum or councelling that I express more, not even all).. smiling through pain is not allways good I don't think, especially is your nit seeking answers to recover. sometimes we do need to break down to let go some of the burnden, its a nother pressure to put chin up, put best foot forward, kee calm and carry on. I think readon for higher number in mental health is because our society puts pressure on us in so many ways and has normalised stress so people think having a high stress level to deal with is normal, and wont distress after, many people who not diagnosed are often ticking timebombs, just needing a moment to take of the mask and chill,

sorry may have gone totally off topic, iv been awake for 6 hours now after ony having 2 hours sleep, nothing to do with MH, its to do with teething baby..

anyway take care

I'm glad your

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for your post Nat. On the forum we really know we're not alone. I used to off loaf a lot but after 16 years I know people have had enough. My husband listens but I hate to complain too much to him.
Funny the other day I could accept. Yesterday and today I find myself wandering how i'll get through the years.

I hope the teething is by soon and your little one is contented

Take care
Deb x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Life is such utter crap just now. It's not been good anyway but I am so weary. I'm frightened of saying to myself that I want to die. The better thing is to say i don't know how to carry on.because although I do carry on i don't know how. Each day is a little lifetime, I once read.

My life is so easy compared to so many on here.

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 am

Hi Debs

I dont think you need to compare yourself to anyone. Youre doing your best and your pain is real.

Isap xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Debs

I just got a new book which I recommend above all others

DARE
Barry McDonagh

Theres a free app too but I havent looked at it yet

www.DareResponse.com/app

No nonsense and practical approach to dealing with anxiety. Fills in the gaps left by Claire Weekes

Isap xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 am

It looks well worth the getting

Debs xx

Return to “Mutual Support Group”