Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

embarrased but right

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
deadchick07

embarrased but right

Postby deadchick07 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:32 am

just wanted to get it off my chest.

Three months ago i found out that a referal to pschotherapy by my shrink had been knocked back, due to in my opinion having an inconclusive diagnosis. i actually want a label, even after 19 years, so i can have enough redibility when asking to participate in my own recovery by using services, instread of being refused access 'cos assumptions or prejugements are made- i.e. young self harm history female must only be personality disorder, cant be anything else.

havent harmed for 10 years, dont demand immediate crisis care, generally fine and functioning, but keep repeating stupid behaviours, which is why i requested psychotherapy to deal with it.

after the knock back asked for review of diagnosis, because im now expecting second child, and got no support after my last child when i was extremely ill, so dont want that to happen again, and wrote to the shrink to say i think diagnosis is the reason i cant get help.

so he went through the notes, did a few tests on me and diagnosed "highly likely" bipolar, great, but the "highly likely" bit as opposed to definately, proved my point, when i saw the crisis service during routine antenatal check, whilst sobbing with frustration, the nurse said my diagnosis wasnt definate (therefore precluding the really highly documented 1 in 2 chance of severe post natal depression that i nearly died from last time occuring again) so she wasnt going to rush the care plan. also i was told she wrote in my notes i appeared fine (sobbing, no eyecontact, aggressive responses... all sound fine to me!!!)

so, ladies and gents, may i draw your attention to the patient advice and liason services throughout the NHS who subtly kick butt on your behalf, as they try to not go down official complaints routes to keep figures looking good, so they stroke your ego, and get questions answered and make people aware you know your rights and are taking no rubbish.

there is always the threat of a coroner being informed that i have a dossier of contac with services as from my perspective, should the worst happen, i will at least expect and enquiry- not that they do any good as nothing changes but at least someone may get the sack.

anyway, regardless, i apologise to everyone ive been up all night complaining about, just coming out of hypomanic phase, so rest assured, i will be feeling rubbish any day now so theres your peace of mind restored.

all i want is for mntal HEALTH services to concentrate on keeping people healthy, not letting them all die through lazy staff feeling justified in holding inaccurate beliefs that allow them to get away with continuing mistakes
I'm not mad, I'm furious

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

deadchick07

Re: embarrased but right

Postby deadchick07 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:35 am

im okay for now, just coming down from tyranical bout of hypomania, made enemies left right and centre and now getting fat on humble pie.

trying with all my might to get the right support been offered lots of not of the right stuff, i just need a very small team, and hope to get that sorted asap, but with jolly old crimbo and new year, im not holding my breath

all i know is if 1 more person just assumes i will take medication then writes it in my notes i agree, even though 23 weeks pregnant i will slap them. very VERY hard. i cant believe how blinkered their thinking is, i know im usually meds compliant but i dont see why i should put my second child at risk simply because the services cant be bothered to pay someone to visit for 15 minutes once a fortnight to see how i am, and maybe see me at clinic monthly, so if or when things got that bad id agree to meds it could be an option, but not simply cos it costs £28 an hour for a cpn compared to £3.77 a month for meds.

stuff 'em!!!!
I'm not mad, I'm furious

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Return to “Mutual Support Group”