Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Do mental health workers take you seriously

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
oobydoobie

Do mental health workers take you seriously

Postby oobydoobie » Wed May 30, 2012 4:50 pm

When you mention things to them? In my experience they are too quick to dismiss and trivialise and if you try and force the issue then all the abusive attention seeking/demanding/troublesome accusations spew forth.

Went for injection today and was asked how i felt(am always asked in a throwaway,don't expect much of an answer, manner). Instead of saying i'm ok ,like i normally do, mentioned feeling like a freak/social misfit and wanted to say what i said in my descriptive words post but thought better of it when the nurse treated my comment as much ado about nothing or a bit of a joke .
How can they learn and know how you feel when incidents like today's make you reluctant to open up for fear of being dismissed/trivialised?
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.

oobat

Re: Do mental health workers take you seriously

Postby oobat » Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

People don`t expect an answer ooby, that`s why we come to this site, to pour it out and get support,advice, comfort from those that have been there and suffered. "Civilians" can`t understand that depressed doesn`t mean sad, or that mental health problem doesn`t mean you`re gonna whack `em with an axe! Hope your day gets better, Hugs,Jim

wishbone

Postby wishbone » Wed May 30, 2012 5:54 pm

From reading people's experiences on here, some clearly do take them seriously, because some are getting the support they need. I am unsure why some may get it and some don't; but I think this may vary in answers in itself. Sometimes we may never get to finding an answer.

Yes, I think the 'how are you?' question, is a kind of a greeting, rather than an actual question that they want you to answer. I've always taken it as a greeting, so I just say yes I'm fine, even though I might not be.

I'm sorry you feel that you are in need to ask this question. I hope things improve for you.

Zardos

Postby Zardos » Wed May 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Last edited by Zardos on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umbrella4therain

Postby umbrella4therain » Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 pm

I think in order to find people that understand and to get the support we need its important that we continue to take a risk by opening up. Its hard to do, especially if you have felt shot down in the past or have difficulty opening up or taking risks in the first place but I think as with everything there is variation in the quality of support mental health workers provide. It can vary from person to person, and from day to day in the same person. We need to keep trying when we get shot down. To pick ourselves up and try again. Although this is difficult and particularly difficult when you have issues around criticism or rejection as I do and not feeling very resilient anyway, I think its important to keep trying. Sometimes it can be really hard to get back up when you feel like you have been knocked back. I feel due to my difficulties I am somewhat lacking in resilience. Also my all or nothing thinking doesnt help because people can become good or bad in a moment and once someone becomes bad I will hold a grudge until the person does something "good" enough to block out whatever the bad thing was. I know its hard and difficult to get the balance right without the accusations you mentioned flying around but all I can say is keep trying Ooby. Dont give up. xxx
Last edited by umbrella4therain on Thu May 31, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

brachypelma

Postby brachypelma » Thu May 31, 2012 12:07 am

I think that you have found the last nail in the coffin lid with this topic.
I dont know really what to add to your perfect post ooby, seems though you talk to them about something different that they expect or something new its blown out of the sky with little reverence for how it is,may or can effect the client especially if it took alot of courage to do in the first place.
Time takes away the last few moments..

tracie

Postby tracie » Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 am

i feel that they dismiss what i say

kasskaa11

Postby kasskaa11 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 am

its a constant battle and i have battle fatigue atm.
too tired to say anymore

xox

oobat

Postby oobat » Thu May 31, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Kasskaa. Love`n`Hugs to a weary soldier, hang on in there! xxx Jim

oobydoobie

Postby oobydoobie » Thu May 31, 2012 11:09 am

umbrella4therain wrote: I know its hard and difficult to get the balance right without the accusations you mentioned flying around but all I can say is keep trying Ooby. Dont give up. xxx

After a while it just gets too hard to make more than a token effort every once in a while. There is only so much abusive 'you are awkward/demanding/troublesome' that you can risk taking .
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”