Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

New to this

If you're new and want to say hello...

New to this

Postby . » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi

I've always had a really bad time of things but particularly this past year has been the worst of my life. I feel so extremely stressed and upset which makes my grief so much harder.

I'm at a point where I want to go to a doctor but I'm afraid. I can't talk about anything I just cry and I don't know what to say to a doctor without having a total meltdown.

I don't want counselling or therapy because I don't see how talking can change anything and also for the reason already mentioned about not being able to talk about anything anyway.

I would just like some advice if anyone has anything about how you even approach this discussion with a doctor. I just feel like I really need some form of medication I'm just really worried about going.

Thanks

alpha

Re: New to this

Postby alpha » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi there,
It is scary speaking about feelings, and I remember before walking into my shrinks office, I felt very nervous. We all wish there were a magic pill to fix everything, what works for one may not work for others. The first step is often harder than the rest (apologies for all of the clichés) don't be afraid of having a melt down in front of your doctor they are there to listen as well as diagnose. You have opened up on here, maybe more than you thought you could or ever would, writing down how you are feeling can really help, and if you are worried to the point where talking is unlikely, copy your post and show that to your doctor.
Doing nothing will likely cause what you are going through to stay with you, should you have a bad day, the smallest thing may make things seem too much to handle.
As far as approaching your doctor, if you decide to write down how you are feeling, have the piece of paper in one hand and as you go for your consultation, shake hands and pass the paper to your doctor, "hi or good morning " should be enough.
I hope this helps.
#kickisolationsass

Return to “Newbies Room”