Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

New here

If you're new and want to say hello...
missapple

New here

Postby missapple » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here and just found this website through NHS website for depression.

This is my back story....

I first encountered problems with low mood in around October 2015 when I sought the assistance of a student counsellor. After my initial appointment, I didn't have time to go back again, and to an extent things improved in some ways.

I've always used alcohol as a crutch, together with binge eating.

In December 2016, after a few bad months of feeling low and anxious, I drank too much at a work party and embarrassed myself. That led to me giving up alcohol for January 2017 and thinking I might have had a drinking problem.

Nevertheless I started drinking again and in May 2017 had a near panic attack. After this, I went to the Dr and was prescribed sertraline. I was also referred to a cbt programme. However at the initial appointment, they picked up on my alcohol issues and referred me to an alcohol abuse service. Through one thing or another I haven't accessed the service, though I have twice given up drinking since this time (and twice relapsed after little over a month). I stopped taking sertraline of my own volition in September 2017 and haven't been back to the Dr.

Since November 2017 my mood has been very low. I am tired all of the time. I struggle to find any enjoyment in life. I drank alone on Saturday night and in my desperation to have someone to talk to, messaged some friends and acquaintances with incoherent ramblings. I am embarrassed, ashamed and a little scared of my lack of control.

I don't know if I want to try medication again and I don't know if I want to use the alcohol service..i have a hard time talking to my friends or family about my feelings and I'm just looking for a bit of support and encouragement to make changes to get to feeling better.

Thanks for reading

mihaela

Re: New here

Postby mihaela » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Hello Miss Apple, and welcome!
I suffer from depression too, so I know what it can be like. I've never turned to alcohol or binge eating though, but I'm sure there are others on here who have done, and who be able to help you better than me. :)

Return to “Newbies Room”