Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How do you cope while you are waiting for your first session?

If you're new and want to say hello...
fayemartin26

How do you cope while you are waiting for your first session?

Postby fayemartin26 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how they coped while they were waiting for help? I have recently been diagnosed as depressed, have anxiety and possible OCD. She then said that she was going to put me down as severe but then said that I won't actually get an appointment for a session for 6 weeks! I don't really know what to do. I feel low and suicidal everyday. I have tried to volunteer at a shelter but they cancelled the appointment today, everytime I try to do something it just seems to get harder. I don't understand people at all, they confuse me so as a result I have no friends to talk about these things. The last few weeks every attempt I have made to try and make friends or something fails. I have no idea why. I don't think I will ever get on with people/ always be disappointed so what is the point?

rotaxmax125

Re: How do you cope while you are waiting for your first session?

Postby rotaxmax125 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:42 pm

I was told that I was on a 12 week waiting list but I ended up having my first session by the end of week 4 so you may find it won't be as long a wait as you think. I know it's easy to say so but try not to get stressed about it in the mean time. OCD was the main reason for me too and I got in a bit of a state in the weeks leading up to my first session obsessing and stressing about what I needed to say and do tobget the most out of my sessions which I have since learnt was unnecessary. If I was in that situation again I'd try not to think about it too much.

I can relate to what you say about the difficulty in forming close relationships. I do think mental health does make it more difficult. Again is try not to chase it too much. I'm still a bit guilty of this but I'm trying not too so much now.

kellyjane

Postby kellyjane » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi there,

I can totally relate to the frustration of waiting for professional help. Perhaps whilst you are waiting you can write down exactly what it is you are wanting help with, what exactly your symptoms are, how long they have been happening for, what you have tried so far, what helps and what makes you worse. Creating a little plan to go into that first session with will be so helpful for you to feel like you are taking control - but it will also help you to answer the questions the doctor will ask.

Google 'circle of life' coaching tool. It's really effective at looking at different areas of your life to see what things you need help with. I still do it every few months to gain perspective of my life. It's kind of like doing an inventory. See if it helps.

Secondly keep busy. Read. Get into a good tv series. Do a hobby. Do anything to keep you busy. Waiting for something thinking about it constantly is like watching the microwave or kettle to finish- it seems to take forever.

Hope some of this helps.

Take care.

fayemartin26

Postby fayemartin26 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Thank you both for the replies. It's not so much the stressing out about what to say or anything like that. It's more that I worry that if something else big happens in the mean time, i'm not going to be able to talk myself out of it with these constant thoughts. It's just hard not to think these things when they are constantly floating around your head.
Glad though that the waiting might not be as long as they say it will be.
Thanks Kellyjane for the coaching tool, I think that that will help a lot to see what it is. I am thinking about joining the a yoga class but find the thought of meeting new people scary! I do try and keep nyself busy but have moods where I can't get into or change completely and want to do everything.
Thanks again.

emloja

Postby emloja » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Have you tried any Mindfulness or meditation. I really find the ap Headspace helpful- it starts off teaching meditation in a really basic way- you can set the duration of the session and have as little as 5 minutes. You have to pay but i think you can access it on a trial to see if you like it. I also pop in and out of the lightheartsuk website and their ten week programme. This is free and great. I hope you find something which feels supportive while you wait for your sessions.

Return to “Newbies Room”