Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How can i help my partner

If you're new and want to say hello...
dottyteacup

How can i help my partner

Postby dottyteacup » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi

I am new to this i am engaged to a man who has always suffered with depression. He gets really upset about the past and im unsure how i can help im always around for a hug and a chat but i dont feel i help

Any ideas

All well come

mimosas

Re: How can i help my partner

Postby mimosas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:50 am

Just wanted to say hello and that there are a few of us on here in a similar situation, there are threads running in the family, friends and carers section.

The most important thing is that you look after yourself too, not easy I know when you are hurting also. You'll get plenty of support here.

Take care x

dottyteacup

Postby dottyteacup » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Thankyou so very much will have a look

;)

rotaxmax125

Postby rotaxmax125 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Just be there for him. You don't have to understand his depression or why he feels the way he does. But if you can show him you understand that he has depression and the battle he has to face that really helps so very much.

kellyjane

Postby kellyjane » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:12 am

Support him to get professional help especially counselling or therapy. It is not productive to ruminate about the past constantly as it means then we are never focused on the present or future, however, if he has an outlet of professional help to support him to sort through his past issues it may help him feel better.

Keep yourself mentally safe too - as much as you may want to help and take it all on yourself, it will drain you to do so. Make sure you take time to recharge your own batteries so to speak.

Take care.

Return to “Newbies Room”