Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

New member. Hi!

If you're new and want to say hello...
rotaxmax125

New member. Hi!

Postby rotaxmax125 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi. I'm Michael

I've just joined and wanted to say hello. I have struggled with my mental health from a very young age. I suffer from OCD, excessive worry, depression and anxiety. All seem to link in to one another. I've joined because I am going through a really bad patch at the moment and I really am feeling very alone and stressed out. I had to take some days off work last week as everything came to a head and I broke down a bit. I don't really feel like I'm getting much support through work. I miss my ex a lot too who said she would always be there for me for support when we split but since made it quite clear she wants nothing to do with me anymore now she has met someone else. I feel like I am finding that the people who I thought cared actually don't which is making it even harder.

I've joined here as I don't know anyone else in my life who struggles as much as I do with mental health so thought it would be nice to become part of the same community and get involved in discussions with people that do understand. Iit may help me and also give me the opportunity to help others too.

mihaela

Re: New member. Hi!

Postby mihaela » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 am

Hello Michael, and welcome :)
I have all these difficulties too, and from a very young age. I never knew why until I got a very late autism diagnosis. I'm not saying you have autism, but the clues you give could point to it. Lots of us struggle through life without understanding why. A diagnosis can also get you support. I've been let down badly by friends too, and it hurts. Some people just like using others and then dumping them :( Have you had any help from your GP or mental health services?

rotaxmax125

Postby rotaxmax125 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Mihela

Thank you for your reply. That's interesting. What actually is autism? Yes, I had CBT therapy in 2016 referred by my GP and i was on anti depressants for a year. I came off them in April last year. I was doing well with manageable occurring difficult periods which I was able to deal with. But this episode has knocked me for six and had been going on for a long while.

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:39 pm

rotaxmax125 wrote:I have struggled with my mental health from a very young age.

The very young age is the big clue, for autism is a lifelong condition. Asperger's syndrome is a type of autism, but that name has now been dropped from diagnostic manuals. It varies enormously between different people, but one thing we all have in common is sensitivities of many kinds, which make us easily stressed. Others are difficulty dealing with people, intense (often unusual) interests and a dislike of change. There are many other traits too, but they're not shared by all autistic people.

Anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. commonly come with it, and that's due to high stress levels. Any diagnosis needs information on what you were like as a child. Often it gets noticed at school, but when 'mild' it can be missed which leads to problems later.

ope that helps :)

rotaxmax125

Postby rotaxmax125 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 pm

mihaela wrote:
rotaxmax125 wrote:I have struggled with my mental health from a very young age.

The very young age is the big clue, for autism is a lifelong condition. Asperger's syndrome is a type of autism, but that name has now been dropped from diagnostic manuals. It varies enormously between different people, but one thing we all have in common is sensitivities of many kinds, which make us easily stressed. Others are difficulty dealing with people, intense (often unusual) interests and a dislike of change. There are many other traits too, but they're not shared by all autistic people.

Anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. commonly come with it, and that's due to high stress levels. Any diagnosis needs information on what you were like as a child. Often it gets noticed at school, but when 'mild' it can be missed which leads to problems later.

ope that helps :)

It does. Thank you

Return to “Newbies Room”