Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Feeling Isolated

If you're new and want to say hello...

Feeling Isolated

Postby jfe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:57 am

Hi, Im new here I found my way to this site via various links, thought I'd have a go to see if there's anyone in a similar situation to myself and who may be able to offer any tips or guidance.
I feel very isolated in life. I have no family - no siblings, a very elderly frail mother who lives 2 hours away, no close aunts, uncles, cousins etc. Im divorced (10 years ago), no children. So its just me. Day in day out.
I go to work, I go home to an empty house, I sleep, then do it all again the next day. Every day.
I have a few friends, though none that I feel I could confide in about this.
I feel very envious when I hear people at work talking about their families, what they get up to; their husbands, children etc. Christmas is a particularly bad time, its just me and my mum watching the TV in her living room as she cant get out much. Winter is the worst time for some reason. I have to do something - I don't think I can get through another winter being like this again.
I just want someone to connect to who understands what Im going through, I feel so alone in this world. I sometimes think, who would come to my funeral when I die!
Lately Ive been seriously thinking of moving away to a new area, making a fresh start. New area, new job, new house, new everything. Would this help or make things worse? I just don't know. My brain and thoughts just keep going round in circles trying to find the answer to all this. Its making me ill, like I cant get off the treadmill. I cant keep doing this. I have to find a way to either accept this and get on with my life or find the solution but I don't know what or how.
I keep trying to find someone in a similar situation but everyone I come into contact with has family of some sort, either kids, parents etc. Ive thought about a counsellor but I cant afford this and there's a huge waiting list through the GP. Ive been on anti-depressants in the past which do help in the short term but I want to sort the underlying problems not just mask them with pills.
Im at my wits end. Is anyone out there in a similar situation who can offer some advise?
Thanks for reading! x

Re: Feeling Isolated

Postby sirhugo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 pm

"I sometimes think, who would come to my funeral when I die!"

as soon as I read this i found a wry smile on my face as many times i have thought the exact same thing.

my problem is more about issues with communication and feeling like no one around me cares. but i suppose feeling isolated is the same thing regardless of reasons

the thing ive always been told is to try chatting to people online, join clubs, go to places likes churches, community centre etc. a cliché i know but worth a try. another thing that did help me for a while was volunteering. any of these things will put you in touch with people and that will hopefully make you feel less alone.

take care

Re: Feeling Isolated

Postby rotaxmax125 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I feel similar too. My family is very small and my mother passed away 2 years ago who I was so very close too. It's just me, my sister and fathe now. I have few relatives but all a long way away. I too find it very difficult to hear my colleagues brag about all the family events and holidays they are going on and great Christmas's they have planned.

Return to “Newbies Room”