Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Major Depressive Disorder

If you're new and want to say hello...
kerrielj

Major Depressive Disorder

Postby kerrielj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi there,

I've recently been diagnosed with severe clinical depression with severe anxiety, and I have regularly felt suicidal these past few weeks. I am so scared by my own mind and how bad I feel; it's like I have no control over it. This is my very first major depressive episode, caused by stress, although I have been very prone to anxiety in the past. I am currently taking the antidepressant Citalopram, which has helped slightly but not much (I've been taking it for 4 weeks now).

Could anybody offer me some advice or tips on how to cope until this passes?

Keri

christabel

Re: Major Depressive Disorder

Postby christabel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Keri

Sorry to hear you are feeling particularly poorly and that you have not had a response on here yet.
Please don't take it personally as at times the forum can be a little quiet through members having off times themselves.

Mind have a good phone line as do Samaritans if it gets too bad but go to your a and e at hospital if it gets too much. Certainly visit your g.p. if you feel the medication needs attention. Don't suffer in silence.
Take care. Chris

rsxo

Re: Major Depressive Disorder

Postby rsxo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi Keri,

Sorry to hear about how you've been feeling. As someone who has suffered from depression and anxiety, I can relate to what you're going through right now - you're not alone!

In terms of coping, there are two main things to address to lay the foundation for recovery. Firstly, make sure that you are looking after yourself physically well - being physically well (keeping clean, sleeping well, eating properly etc) provides the foundation from which you can explore and tackle your mental health issues much better!

Secondly, discovering what things in your life you can control and what you can't, and working to make those you can control more secure. For example, you can't control your health (although you can influence it), but you can control how you express your feelings (counsellor, diary etc). You've mentioned that you feel you have lost control - taking back control on small things that are controllable helps you to regain the steering wheel of your life!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Newbies Room”