Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Here we go again

If you're new and want to say hello...
Amelie

Here we go again

Postby Amelie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm

I've just got back from the doctors who has written me off work for another week (been off 2 weeks now) for low mood. I thought I'd be better enough to return to work- but I'm not. I'm tearful, exhausted and the inner critic is back. I thought I'd banished depression once and for all with use of self care, therapy , light box, vitamins , St. John's wort and exercise. But clearly that's not enough. I've managed nearly 3 years without time off work for depression but it's taken me by surprise this time. I've made a plan of things to aid my recovery each day but I'm worried about returning to work- whether I'll cope, and I need to go back soon as I only get full sick pay for 4 weeks at the moment. I'm a single parent of 2 children and no family help. I hate feeling like this again- and feel cheated. I thought I'd done the things I needed to keep well but it obviously wasn't enough. My doctor wants me to try sertraline but I've been off antidepressants for 2 years now after awful side effects coming off escitalopram. Not keen to play roulette again. I'm on waiting list for in house counselling as work in NHS. Feel like I 'shouldn't ' be ill too as seems to be frowned upon and not talked about in my sector - which is ridiculous really as it's high pressure and stressful so of course people's mental health will suffer at times. Don't think most friends understand though they trying. I'm trying to make myself do something each day but it exhausts me and to others that must mean I'm fine - but I'm not. Any thoughts on trying sertraline? X

bexylouise

Re: Here we go again

Postby bexylouise » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi
Im sorry you feel like this again and that its creeped up on you. I understand you must feel the pressure from both the job aswell as being a parent. Although im new to sertraline its been ok for me i have been teary and feeling quite sick but i think thats probably because im in relapse atm. My mum and my former partner are both on sertraline too and from what i have seen it seems to be working well for them.
I hope things get better for you soon x

julier

Postby julier » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Poor you, sounds like everything is getting on top of you. I take Sertraline for hot flushes (menapause) first couple of weeks are a bit weird but better than any of the other AD’s.
Relapses can happen to all of us. I’m going through one right now. Don’t be too hard on yourself you will come out the other side. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. X

amaya

Postby amaya » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

If you have been depressed before and had a recovery, then you can do it again. Maybe accepting that it is happening will help keep the period short as well, because that horribly difficult acceptance part always has to come first. But you don't have to feel that you have not done enough or failed in someway. Depression is an illness, and one that tends to reoccur in people who have already had it, so perhaps stop seeing yourself as to blame in someway. I would just focus on getting better from where you are, however annoying it is to find yourself here again, that is where you are right now. But you already know the way out.

When I used sertraline I found it to be really helpful on a low dose, 50mg a day was like getting a good night's sleep for me and helped me out of two depressive periods in the past.

Return to “Newbies Room”