Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

New and worried

If you're new and want to say hello...

New and worried

Postby picnic » Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 pm

What a great site this is, have felt not as alone when reading others posts. Has anyone an answer as to a question probably quite impossible but worrying me sick. Do depressive episodes get worse with age? I have felt quite low since Easter and have started meds, but am 'haunted' by previous episodes (7 in total), thinking I am destined to be like this for the rest of my life. I have a professional job and 3 children and can't stop ruminating on this..... I am 38, have suffered episodes since age 16.
picnic

Re: New and worried

Postby Aisha85 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear of how you're feeling. I don't have any experience in what you're going through but I am sure someone will have been on this site so please have faith. Wishing u the best x
Aisha85

Postby Alzice » Fri May 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Welcome!
I've only experience depression for around 3 years, maybe a bit more, and while it does seem to have got worse for me I think that's just because going from school to university has introduced new stress causes that are more important and give me more to worry about. I'm certain there will be someone here who can help you and I would definitely suggest the mutual support forum :)
Ax
Alzice

Postby belle » Fri May 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello.
I hope you find this site helpful.
I think I can understand some of your worries.
I have had MH illness for 35 years.
I can only speak of my experiences but I don't think the episodes have got necessarily worse, but the fact that they return possibly makes it feel like they are becoming worse because it compounds all the other times. Not sure that makes too much sense but it might!
Take care.
x
belle

Postby picnic » Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks to all of you who have posted, totally agree with belle about being 'compounded' by previous episodes. That really resonates, and it is such a relief to communicate with fellow sufferers rather than trying to get reassurance from my GP. Will definitely look at mutual support, thanks again for the replies, hope you are all keeping well.
picnic

Postby belle » Fri May 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi there.
I wasn't sure whether to tell you how long my depression has been going on because that is depressing in itself!
However, just feeling less isolated has helped me and I hope it helps you too.
People on here are kind, thoughtful and between everyone we have lots of experiences and ideas. And if we don't we can always listen.
x
belle

Return to Newbies Room