Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Feminist and Cyberbullying on International Women's Day

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
kittypae

Feminist and Cyberbullying on International Women's Day

Postby kittypae » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 pm

I am a female and coincidentally on IWD2018 day, I was called a "feminist" and almost felt "cyberbullied" for sharing my thoughts on why I thought an online post referencing an unknown woman wasn't fair and appropriate.

How do you support other women without coming across a "feminist"? What did I do wrong here and how can I better communicate or support other women without being called a "feminist" or being cyberbullied?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments ... ce=twitter

this is what the post said but now deleted: "The other night a very attractive young woman told me she was, "into indie bands, like Led Zeppelin."

i also tried to clarify my resposne [now deleted] by expanding why i thought the comment was "wrong", but also apologizing if i took the post out of context. "what I mean by "wrong" in my last response, is this: why describe her looks into it? It just comes across like you're degrading intellectuality (but opinion?) in relationship to a woman's physical appearance. Perhaps I'm taking this out of context. If so, apologies."

The response thereafter i received [now deleted] was something along the lines of "... being overly consumed by your feminism, you forgot [the quote?] with Led Zeppelin were not an indie band!"

I don't know. Is this suppose to be funny?
Kind Regards,
Kitty Pae

http://www.kittypaemusic.com

kittypae

Re: Feminist and Cyberbullying on International Women's Day

Postby kittypae » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am

UPDATE
I want to post an update on what happened and the actions I took because I think it's an important lesson for me and hopefully others. Also, I want to thank this forum, because it was only after reading other posts (and providing some responses to them) that I realized, myself, that I needed to talk to someone professional and local in my area. So, I called Philadelphia's Peer Support "warmline" because I was feeling lonely, anxious, depressed, and confused at the backlash I received from the forum and I didn't know how I was suppose to feel. I was crying and thinking, "is this normal. Why am I crying over something that happened online"?

The warmline person walked me through and here a few things I learned and realized from small talks and her listening to me:
1) It's okay to cry and feel hurt.
2) It's okay to stick up to something that you believe is not right.
3) Feeling vulnerable is human. This is okay.
4) It's not okay for people to say things like that.
5) When people say things that are not okay, try not to take it so personally.
6) Don't lose your self-confidence because of what other people say or think.

In summary, I cried but it's alright to feel vulnerable.
lost some self-confidence through this, but it's alright to stick up for something you believe is wrong.
There will be time when others will say things that you don't expect and hurt your feelings, but don't let that get to you where you're so overwhelmed and encompassed by it.

I decided yesterday that I needed a break and stayed away from the reddit form completely and streamed live piano playing music on twitch.com instead... I had one viewer listening to me playing piano and that was amazing! Wish i could thank that 1 viewer for listening and letting me just play whatever the heck I wanted.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Cheers.
Kind Regards,
Kitty Pae

http://www.kittypaemusic.com

Return to “Rant Room”