Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Trying to hide youremotions

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
Cyprus

Trying to hide youremotions

Postby Cyprus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

So why do we find it so difficult and disturbing to breakdown in front of people
I am fed up of trying to keep in all together to the outside world going to combust soon spending all day every day in a state of constantly being on the edge
Just what to be able to relax and smile at something this life is just to difficult I would really like an easier path so think I need a little desert island all my own to survive
Just so difficult to handle what’s going on x

amaya

Re: Trying to hide youremotions

Postby amaya » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Because the frontal cortex and all that rationalising nonsense that seperates us from the animals wants to keep control, whilst your inner being, that amygdala and other such more gorilla like parts of you want to tear people's arms off when you are angry, or because you know if you start crying you won't stop for a long time. The thing is you need to let the emotions out or they will grow into figurative demons inside you, but because you have been keeping a lid on it so long you are afraid to let them out because instinct tells you that anything could happen. I think the trick is to get a balance between the two and not be all or nothing. Let the emotions out as close to the time that they occur as possible, and do it in little doses so that it doesn't overwhelm and then take the control back. But it is all you. It is all valid. And there is nothing wrong with how you feel and you can know that because you are feeling it.

Cyprus

Postby Cyprus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Makes a lot of sense but hard to do when you have always hidden them Thankyou x

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi Cyprus,

I think it's part of the societal fabric that we've woven. Crying has traditionally been seen as a mark of weakness (even though it's not) and vulnerability (which was traditionally seen as another sign of weakness). Things are changing slowly but surely, but there's a way to go. As humans, we are concerned about how others see us to some extent, so remembering that some people don't look upon crying kindly, we feel ashamed when we breakdown in public, even though there's nothing wrong with doing sox

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Rant Room”