Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Can’t concentrate or revise

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
kat99

Can’t concentrate or revise

Postby kat99 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I’m in my first year at uni studying physics, so far as a student I’ve gotten by not doing much work/revision but now I need to work. It makes me incredibly anxious and I can’t make myself sit and do a question without getting upset or distracted. I literally feel like I’m unable to work I know I’m capable and smart enough to do this but I just can’t. It sounds crazy because it’s just a case of doing it nothings stopping me. I feel like I’m sabotaging myself and I don’t know what to do. Help.

andthistoomustpass

Re: Can’t concentrate or revise

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Kat

Yep that sounds familiar. First year is bound to be anxiety provoking. Anxiety often causes procrastination then anxiety at not getting stuff done piles on to that and makes it worse. Then you may start beating yourself up about it which makes things worse still. The uni will have some pastoral care people who can give advice or help you find someone proffessional to talk to. They will have seen this before. Other than that see a gp and search YouTube for mindfulness meditations and there is a TED talk on procrastination which I found helpful too. If you check the Mutual Support Room on this site you will find a good thread on Mindfulness. I've found it incredibly useful in dealing with anxiety.

Goid luck!

rsxo

Re: Can’t concentrate or revise

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi kat99,

This could simply be a case of not being willing to learn enough. In uni, there are so many things going on - parties, friends, lectures, societies, the list goes on. Perhaps your mind is set on one of those, rather than your work at the moment. As harsh as this sounds, it can sometimes be the case, so it's worth considering. However since you've come onto a Mental Health forum, I'd personally doubt that this is the case.

It could also be a case of symptoms of anxiety. Having thoughts running through your mind all the time and worrying about so many things can cause us to lose concentration on anything. In that case, you'd need to look at ways of easing the anxiety. What is it that is worrying you at the moment? Write your thoughts about it down. Engage in meditation to help ease the anxietyx

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Rant Room”