Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How it is

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
deb1960

How it is

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Most of the time life is crap. I get the odd good day and usually I feel some peace in the evening. What annoys me so much is that my gp won't let me try pregabalin (an anti anxiety drug) it was designed for epilepsy and is also used for nerve pain. The only reason he's ever given is that he's never used it for anxiety before. By and large I like this GP but given there is a chance that my illness could be helped and he isn't willing to try I feel cheated. I'm going to try a different doctor though they tend to stick together.

It's interesting that in the past I used to be very distressed at the doctors even with mild symptoms. Now my symptoms can be a lot worse but because I 'behave' they don't take me as seriously. Meanwhile I've realised just how acceptable it is to mental health teams to let a person get on with it. Once they get someone out of the worst they send them on a course and discharge them. Years ago I was well looked after and perhaps very lucky with the drugs I took.

In Britain mental health services have targets to reach re reducing suicide. It seems that as long as they keep you alive they're doing their job. They have similar stats re fatal heart attacks and rubbish in landfill sites.

I just hate feeling crap all the time and knowing that I must be very ill indeed before anything is done.

Isap

Re: How it is

Postby Isap » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi Debs

I am on pregabalin. For maybe 2 years. The odd thing is that I dont know if it is working or not but I am on a low dose of 125gm. If you look on nomorepanic.co.uk you will find a lot are on 600 gm together with an AD. My doctor in Japan cant give me more than 150mg and besides, hes not a psych. The problem with this med is price, its really expensive, so if you have a stingy GP that may be the reason. It does seem to be effective for anxiety around 400mg plus but lower depending on the person. Hardly any side effects apart from dizziness if you stand up too auickly. I am going to try (again) to reduce it because of cost and the low dose not really doing much.

Changing GP sounds like a good idea.

Isap xx

beach

Postby beach » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:26 pm

I have only known one person to be put on Pregabalin. He raved about it initially, but then put on a lot of weight and the benefits diminished. There is one called Busperone that is supposed to be similar, but less costly. It is like a non addictive, slow release and long lasting anti-anxiety.....

Good luck, beach

littleem

Postby littleem » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Ohhh Debs,

I'm so sorry to hear how you're struggling right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you're having a brighter day today.

It's still positive that you are having some good days. What is it about these days that feel better? Could you try doing some of what helps on good days on the bad days? I know it can be tough when your mood is low to do usually enjoyable things but I still try and do them even in just short bursts.

Go easy on yourself when the bad days do come. Even 'happy' people who seem to have everything 'together' (certainly lots of these in my own family!) have bad days. If you need to rest or cry or relax or rant, just do it and don't feel guilty for having tough days. More good days will come I am sure.

Evenings are better for me, too. I usually feel relief that the day is done by the evening and a little more hopeful for the next day. Is there anything you could do in the morning's that would be something to look forward to? This could be as simple as a hot bath with candles, going out somewhere different or eating something different for breakfast.

Really sorry to hear about the difficulty with the GP. Good idea going to see a different doctor. If they refuse also, ask if there are similar meds to pregabalin that could help instead?

Have you tried other things to help reduce anxiety? Relaxation, meditation, distraction activities, therapy etc.

Don't feel you have to stay quiet and 'behave' if you want to express your needs. It's absolutely important and essential to put yourself and your happiness and health first. I went to the GP just before I was admitted to hospital to ask for a sick note and he told me I should be in a full time job to help my depression! He was firing questions at me and I felt interrogated! I then burst out crying and told him just how much I wanted to be in work and that I wasn't faking an illness for the sake of 50 quid a week! He completely changed his attitude, apologised and explained that he only wanted to help me. I got the note, left feeling calmer and no longer angry at the doctor .... and was admitted to hospital a few days later.

What I'm saying is don't let anyone make you feel you're not 'ill' enough for help. Keep fighting Debs and trust me when I say that I understand your frustration, but it's worth persisting to find the really genuine and helpful MH professionals because they ARE out there. It is sad we have to persist but please know you are absolutely 100% worthy of getting the help you need to get well and be happy. I'm absolutely rooting for you!

Take care of yourself,

Love Em x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Thank you Isap, Beach and Em for your posts. I don't know why but I've only just seen them.

You're possibly right Isap. The cost is putting him off. I suspect too that its a drug that isnt used in my health authority for anxiety and so the idea is alien to him. Eg in the Lanarkshire H A they give diazepam quite the thing. Here it's only given for a maximum of two weeks. Here beta blockers are popular. Glasgow way and nobody takes them. Doctors are very unimaginative and if possible we have to work out whats best and let them think it was their idea.

Its interesting what you say about your friend Beach and i have heard they can stop working.

Em , thanks for all your encouragement. I do need to go easy on myself. Im glad your doctor changed his attitude. A lack of imagination again

Meanwhile I have acquired an unpleasant though minor health problem. Just over a. week ago I started to get a strong chemical smell up my nose. It comes and goes and right now im chewing gum as that sometimes helps. It is called phantosmia or olfactory hallucinations and can come for a variety of reasons. Apparrntly it usually goes.

Deb x

littleem

Postby littleem » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Hey Deb,

Lovely to hear from you. Glad to hear you're going easy on yourself. Self care is so important, especially when we're struggling.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problem. I hope it will go away soon.

Take care,

Em x

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Debs

Hope that nose smell goes away soon. Try not to let it bother you. I've got an ear infection, I made it worse by sticking cotton buds down and now I cant hear properly. Apparently it goes away. All these minor things are treatable.

Ive really decided to come off preganalin this time. Its a devil of a drug to come off if yoyve been on a long time. My wife will be less poor for it and the shit isnt working anyway.

Thats what happens. It works then poops out. So you increase thd dose and very soon are on the maximum with increased weight due to appdtite and water retention.

I psrsonally wouldnt recommend it. I got down to 50gm from 150gm last year then got the nausea withdrawal effects.. This time I dont care if I spend all day wanting to vomit and in any case , it was prkbably just anxiety at coming off the stuff. Psychological addiction.

Isap xx

Return to “Rant Room”