Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

My doctor says I can’t drive :o(

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
mike17

My doctor says I can’t drive :o(

Postby mike17 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm

I’ve been symptom free for over 15 months yet my doctor has told me she wants me to wait another year before she will write a letter for the DVLA to say I’m well enough to drive :o

I have a dx of bipolar 1 and paranoid psychosis and there were certainly times I was not safe to drive. I haven’t actually driven in years and don’t have a car so never actually told the DVLA about my illness as I figured if I don’t actually drive who the hell cares as there’s no risk, and my license is the only photo ID I have. However I might like to rent a hire car one day but don’t wish to do this without telling the DVLA and insurers about the illness.

Here’s the amazing thing though. My illness is caused by antibodies that are triggered by grains and since cutting them from my diet I’ve been completely well - and I mean unbelievably well. My psychiatrist has discharged me and given me a completely clean bill of health. She says so long as I avoid grains there is no reason to believe I’ll ever get sick again. She told me that’s its up to my GP to write to the DVLA though.

So my rant is why is my GP telling me I’m still not fit to drive and that I should surrender my license illediately and reapply in a years time. FFS I’m in better mental health today than I ever have been. It just seems like as soon as you get a mental health label the whole world is stacked against you forever.

It’s not the end of the world, it’s just annoying. :lol:

amaya

Re: My doctor says I can’t drive :o(

Postby amaya » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:56 pm

I would ask your psychiatrist to put what was said in writing and then take that to another GP for a second opinion. When you have a favourable one ask them to put that in writing and then write the letter to the DVLA yourself.

Return to “Rant Room”