Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Fresh air

Being outdoors...
deb1960

Re: Fresh air

Postby deb1960 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 am

Hi richardsalvo and everyone

I still intend to sell my bike but because I'm mega disorganised it continues to sit in our hall, thankfully large, waiting for me to do the little job of advertising it.

Our weather here has been rainy for much of the time (central Scotland)but it's wonderful when we do get a good day.

I hope you are all well. Me, well I'm up and down just now.

Debs xx

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi everyone.

How's your cold Sheila? I ended up with a virus after being away but am feeling a lot better although a have a bit of a cough now.

Had a few days up the coast at the weekend with family. Pity it's chucked it down quite a bit. We did manage to get out without getting soaked but it was a bit chilly. Seen a couple of seals on the rocks.

Hopefully that's it for now because I'm a homebird really and need to get my health eating back on track. Fish and chips were yum.

Heard quite a few people with your accent Debs as its a popular place for Scots to holiday. How have you been. Any better?

It does do you good to get out richardsalvo I hope you have managed and are feeling ok.

I'm pleased things seem positive for you Sheila you've been doing well and hope the garden is not suffering. Enjoy your sons visit.

Best wishes. Chris x

gabry

Postby gabry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi Chris & all,
I've still got a dry cough, especially at night. It's a pain in the neck ;) I hope you're fully recovered.
I got my enhanced DBS today & it's all clear, such a long wait for it!
I've got my occ health assessment tomorrow morning, fingers crossed all will go well.
My son isn't coming home after all, he's just started a new job last Monday (praying he sticks this one out!) so I said I'd go and see him later in the year once he's settled in.
Sadly, the garden's not doing so well. More plants are dying - the passionflower is all withered - which is very disappointing. When I've got time I'll repot a few with my flat-mate's help, but we're both occupied at the mo.
Arriving home the other day I stood my bike up against the wall while I fumbled for my keys. Then with a crash it fell to the floor. I said, "So you're tired, too, are you?" as I dragged it upright & indoors.
Later I thought to myself, "Talking to a bike! Definitely a symptom of cyclosis!"
(Was that a loud groan I heard??)
Take care
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi Sheila

How are you doing. I have heard that Vic vapour rub on the soles of your feet when you go to bed is good for a troublesome cough. Pull a old pair of socks over.

I'm pleased mine went pretty quickly but I found it difficult getting full breath when I was out today especially as it was quite windy. I been quite tired as well which is unusual for me. Can't normally sleep much but have had to grab a nap and am ready for my bed by ten. Making the most of some sleep while it lasts.

We had a complement about the garden last week. It is coming along nicely, probably all the rain helping plants get established. We keep looking out for freebies or cuttings to help fill it up. Managed to salvage a little shrub someone was digging out but I haven't looked to find out what it is yet.

I have felt a bit off this last week. It seems certain situations or people can trigger my anxiety. Trying to be kind to myself and hubby and hopefully it will wear off. Hate to see others being taken advantage of but have learnt to just let them sort themselves out and not get myself involved with it.

Hope your weekends good. Love to see your humour coming through. Making me smile. TY. Xxx Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Chris,
It's good to hear you're getting some sleep now. I'm sleeping well, too, and it's a pleasure going to bed knowing I'll be snoring my Vick-filled socks off all night lol I'm pretty much recovered now, thankfully.
Our garden is now a mess after two days of torrential rain/hail & wind. I've still got some willow fencing to put up, but keep putting it off. I seem to have lost interest in plants etc. In fact I've been feeling a bit flat all around lately. It'll pass, I know. It started when I went for the occ health assessment last week - right time, wrong place. It was 10 miles away, so has been rearranged to the 10th August. Just a misunderstanding that happens sometimes.
I had bloods taken this morning for my quarterly tests - only 2 attempts this time, it's usually about 5! Ha, staggering out of the path lab covered in large wads of cotton wool & lengthy bits of tape on my hands and arms, and wearing a glazed look causes a few bemused looks going thru A & E!
Any road, I'm thinking an indoor garden might be just up my street. Maybe in my bedroom. I do my tai chi in there and it might make for a more relaxing atmosphere. I'm thinking big ferns, maybe a bookshelf to put lots of pots & ornaments on.
I've been out on my bike a lot the last week despite the rain (lost 6lbs in the last month!) and it's been lovely going thru the park. Just the smell of cut grass, flowers & earth has given me some peace of mind. I almost felt like hugging a tree one time - though I'd probably be carted off as suffering from treelusions :lol:
Anyway, I'm going to immerse myself in a Star Trek episode now - a bit of escapism. And there's a programme on Radio 4 at 9pm about earthworms that sounds interesting.
Take care,
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Sheila

Good to hear you are recovered and well done with the weight loss. That is something I must make an effort to do. I have always tried to be weight conscious but since starting with Mirtazipine I have found it very difficult.

I try not to stress about it too much but the fact that I can't walk as much as I used to does not help either. We decided to go to a nearby dene with our daughter and dogs the other day. We thought we would follow the nature trail but it was much further than we realised and half way round decided to exit up a steep shingley path into the farmers field as it would be easier to get me back to the car. ( my knee started to jip and we would have had to get the helicopter out to rescue me )
My hubby was at the front end trying to pull me up and my daughter was below the rear giving a shove and the dogs were fussing round wondering what was going on. Eeeee I'm glad it wasn't being recorded. Not a pretty sight.

I'm pleased to say it has not set off any nasty aches and pain afterwards.

Sounds nice an indoor garden. At our sons today they had some lovely little cacti round the house. House plants are good for your health especially spider plants I think. Take nasties out of the air. We harvested some of the seeds from some of his garden plants.

I hope all is well with you. I'm lucky that I got a brilliant vein in my elbow joint area so blood samples have never been much of a problem plus I'm not scared of needles. Mind I have a knobbly mole right next to the vein which the nurse has stuck the plaster on before which was a bit awkward to get off again.

Hope to hear from you soon. XxxChris

gabry

Postby gabry » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Chris,
We've got a few long walks around here that go to villages and through woods and fields. They're all cycle routes as well, but the shortest is 15 miles. Though there is a lake not far away surrounded by woods so when the weather's fine I'm going to explore a bit. It's one of those artificial lakes at the back of a huge shopping complex, so not far from civilisation.
I think I found out why every passionflower I've grown has died, they don't like strong wind. I've grown four and they've all died, that seems to be the only thing in common. They're pretty hardy, evergreen, tolerant of frost and grow in anything as long as it's well-drained. The winds blow really hard here and I don't have a sheltered spot anywhere, so sadly I think I'll give up. Though once I've put up the willow screening it might just make a difference. I haven't got around to it yet. My Gran always said the "round to-its" were really hard to come by, as opposed to the "square to-its" ;)
I've decided to get some bamboo for my bedroom. I bought one of those indoor mini fountains a while back. I haven't got the settings quite right yet - it sounds like someone mowing seaweed underwater at the mo. I think I need a mat or something to rest it on to absorb the sound of the pump.
I've had mostly good news the last few weeks - my diabetic meds are to be reduced, I passed the occ health assessment & I'm just waiting for a start date and my mood has been good. My weekend job is going well, I've found if I just get on with the job people are ok with me. I wish I could join in the banter, social chat & activities (I was invited to their Christmas do but it's my son's birthday near the date and he comes home for the week - I almost grinned at the look of relief on the poor lass's face when I said I couldn't go, but it was nice to be asked!). I just don't get these social things, I'm like a fish out of water :?
Anyway, I've just finished work, so I'm going to grab a couple of hours' kip while the place is quiet.
Take care,
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Sheila

How are you doing? We have actually had a really nice day here today. Best weather wise that we have had for a while even though it is still very breezy. We've had to slap the suncream on. At least it helped bring the rust off. Haha

I'm so pleased you are doing so well. Isn't it strange how we have these insecurity but I've always stuck by something a psychiatrist told me once that you don't Have to do anything you don't want to.
I don't like certain situations as well. When I read your posts you always bring a smile to my face and have such a good way with words I think you don't give yourself the credit you deserve.

We had a look down to our seafront earlier and got treated to some delicious fish n chips. I'm never going to get this weight off. After we got back hubby commented how well I had done with the walking. I am gradually building up and gaining confidence to a bit more each time. We used to do miles before the feet problems.
Our little granddaughter pointed the sea and said she could see a iceburger so I pointed and said I had seen a kipper swim by. I hope she relays that when she goes home and makes them smile.

Great news about your results. It isn't long till my m.o.t. I had better start behaving. Have you managed your cycling? Did you get fixed up with your other job? Hope you got seaworld sorted.

Take care. X Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi Chris,
That's brill you can walk further, and kids make it really enjoyable - they have a much better way of seeing & describing nature than adults, I think. I used to take my two for fish n chips at the coast, beach-combing for shells & playing the slot machines. Nice memories.
My son visited over the weekend and cut the willow screen down to about 5'6" from 6' odd. He's doing well at his new job but has really packed the weight on. I didn't say anything as he's really sensitive to criticism, I'm just glad he's moving forward with his life. It's really reassuring to me.
I haven't heard from the council about a start date, last word was that they were awaiting 2 refs & my DBS. I rang the refs & retook my DBS in for copying, so it shouldn't be too long, hopefully.
I'm also waiting for retinal eye screening results (got blurring in my right eye), and ESA - though they did pay me last Friday. I guess they'll get in touch eventually.
My weekend job is going well, I'm covering for hols again this week.
Indoor plants are really cheap now at Wilko's, so I've bought half a dozen and also some plant holders from a charity shop in town. They look nice, funny I just feel better looking at them.
I saw the diabetic nurse again this morning and she says I should be feeling hypos because my blood sugar is low but I told her I feel fine (I've been keeping a record twice daily). "Are u eating okay?" she asked, "Yes, like a horse." "What r u eating & when?" "Er... (detailed speech about my diet - minus the cheeseburger & full English this week 8-) ) Then she said, "I think I'll change your meds to one that might cause thrush & kidney infections for a week or two to begin with, but acts on your kidneys not your pancreas..." (A thought bubble appeared above my head: "WHAT???? :shock: NO bleep CHANCE!!!!) Actually, a raised eyebrow a la Roger Moore had her saying "Maybe..."
Don't you just hate over zealous medics?
I've been out and about on my bike into town and work, but haven't been down to the lake yet.
Any road, I've done my study period (IT & Leadership skills) - passed my first word processing assessment :) - so I'm going to chill out with a dvd - Prometheus, & munch a big bag of nuts n raisins.
Every blessing,
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:04 am

Well it's half two and can I sleep? No. After a few nights off the trot I start to get really bored with reading/ tv/ music/radio. I was even sort of wishing I had a pile of ironing. Lol. Just some quiet job really cos don't want to wake anybody. There again why should they sleep.

My ears are annoying as well. Oh dear this is sounding bad maybe I should've hit the rant room. I was just reading today that now they are saying AD s are causing people tinnitus. It was a number of years ago when they brought me off the two I was on and started to find more up to date ones when my tinnitus started.

Mention it to the GP and they just shrug it off. Can't do anything apparently. I just said to hubby I don't really want to go down the road of trying to find alternative meds because the last time it was pretty awful and at least this one is ok otherwise.

My ear at definitely worse when I'm stressed or tired. Horrible thing tinnitus. Have you had word about your eye test yet?

The gardens looking good. We had really massive downpours today and it given everything a good drink and wash. There are a few mountain ash trees on the green just outside our front and they are absolutely laden with orangey red berries. The proper name slips me at the moment. With the shrub in people's gardens and the trees I too love to sit and look at them. Find it very relaxing.
Do you watch Alan Titchmarch? It must cost thousands for the plants they put in. I usually end up blubbering at the end of the program it's so sad at times. Even Alan has tears in his eyes at times. We have decided we want a bit of red in the garden so that is our next project.

I managed a decent walk yesterday down to our shopping centre and I am trying to cut the calories. I do find it difficult when I can't sleep cos eating passes the time. If I control meal times better though it will start to come off. I haven't yet gone on to the calorie counter on the net. That does help to keep a track.

I'm going now cos I think this might delete soon. Love's'hugs.Chris

Return to “The Garden”