Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Fresh air

Being outdoors...
christabel

Re: Fresh air

Postby christabel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Sheila

I'm being a bit of a couch potato at the minute. I have been sorting things out this morning but just felt like a bit time being a sloth just to recharge. The wind is quiet cool here which is putting me off even looking round the garden. We did plant a few seeds yesterday. I think what we might look for is some ground cover plants as the borders are bare but don't want anything that would interfere with people hanging washing out. We share garden.

It makes me really annoyed to hear people's benefits are stopped. It is hard enough without being worried sick about money.

Your garden is going to look lovely. I keep getting ideas for hobbies but at the minute my time just flies. I don't know whether it is because I'm getting older. I still get up pretty early then I look and its lunchtime.

Think my get and go has got up and went. Have felt a bit better with my depression/anxiety. How have you been?

X Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Sun May 07, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Chris,
There's nothing wrong with being a couch potato for a while!
I've not been so good this last few weeks, I've felt really a bit paranoid about not fitting in at work, over analysing conversations, looks and behaviour - mine and others I interact with. I've sort of felt like I've lost my identity. I was diagnosed with Narcissistic PD and I've been reading about it. It ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm finding it hard to accept. I've had a dozen or so different diagnoses, well I guess I'm just not sure and I'm not really in a position to argue. I just get told and that I lack insight into my MH. I don't think it's healthy to keep analysing myself, though my cpn disagrees. Ho hum, I guess it will grow on me!
This weekend's working has gone well, the store manager told me he had heard good reports about me and I knew what I was doing, which really lifted my spirits. I was really thankful - just a bit of praise and encouragement works wonders.
I've got some support from the employment service I use I'm going to start a "life skills" course this week and have the support of a psychotherapist at the same place. They also run a breakfast club every Wednesday as a sort of get together for people with mental illnesses. I've been a couple of times and it is really supportive.
I haven't done much out on the terrace, it's been so cold and windy. I'm going to have to stop buying plants though, there isn't much more space lol.
I've been out on the bike to go to work, it's really lovely hearing all the birds singing - and the lighter mornings and quiet roads make it a pleasure.
Take care,
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 am

Hi Sheila

I'm pleased to hear you got some credit from the manager. I felt sure you would be fine with your new job and you would soon get the hang of things. I understand the over analysing etc, I'm guilty of that myself at times but as I've got older and seen the lack of common sense and behaviour of so called clever people I could not careless what they think anymore.

We are no better or worse than anyone else. Having problems make things harder for us so well done for taking the steps that you've done in the last few weeks.

I am just pulling myself round again after having a bit of a meltdown on Friday. My anxiety levels went through the roof till I just blew. The last couple of days I've just chilled out and tried to get outside a bit even though it's cold and windy. One of the side effects is it makes my tinnitus really bad. What I would give for a few minutes with peace and quiet. There again it could be worse and be voices so I should not complain..

There doesn't seem to be any meeting or clubs round here. There is a small community building nearby but I haven't looked into see what is on there since moving here last September. I know there's no MH services or local Mind.
Let me know how your 'life skills' goes.

Take care and keep up the good work. Xxx Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Mon May 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Chris,
I bought a white passionflower today, about 4' tall. I'm going to try and grow it indoors as previous ones haven't done very well outside, dying after the first year. I'm going to put it in a big pot with some trellis. I'm having to water the pots outside daily as they're drying out very quickly - must be the wind.
It was nice to see a load of sparrows around this morning, I've started putting out some food. I saw
one with a mouthful of food feeding either his mate or a chick just under the eaves of a neighbour's roof - a head popped out, grabbed the food and disappeared. The one outside then sat on my roof looking knackered and bedraggled before flying off for more grub for the kids.
On the radio 4 news yesterday I heard that Theresa May is wanting to scrap the Mental Health Act as the "threshold for admission is too low" among other reasons. That gets my vote!
Work-wise I think I'll just look for cleaning work to make up my 16 hours. I just read another post about office cliques and I don't think I'm capable of working in that sort of environment now, having done it for half my working life. It's horrible. It's easier to cope with other people while I'm doing something active.
I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri May 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Shiela

I managed to get to our garden centre that is run by disabled people ( I hope that is ok to say. ) I like to try to support the young ones. They love the work and it gives them a reason to get up on a morning. The plants are always top class as well.

We got a couple of small shrubs and bedding plants for tubs. They had a good selection of ground cover plants so we got quite a lot and managed to get them planted the other afternoon. I was hoping to have some rain today but it didn't happen here so we are having to water every day as the ground is so dry. Can't wait to see how it turned out.

I think you are wise sticking to cleaning jobs. I can't be doing with nasty toxic people so I avoid them now. Hope your weekends work goes ok.

Xxx Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Chris,
It's been a while since I posted, time goes so quickly sometimes.
Work is going well, I've just covered for a holiday - 9 mornings on the trot :shock: Ha, I was beginning to look like I'd had several nights painting the town red!
Anyway, sadly I didn't lose any weight, but I've given up fretting. At least I can still squeeze myself into my jeans - with much wriggling, hauling and horizontal squirming lol

I spent the last few days tidying up the terrace, we potted up some lupins, mint, sage and a passionflower (sadly all the flowers are dropping off, think I've over-watered it). I also bought a small pot of Livingston daisies (osteospermum, I think) which make a nice splash of purple. Not much is flowering, but I've rearranged everything and will add to it over the summer. I'm thinking nice, bright colours. I'm using mainly perennials so I don't have to buy anything next year. My flatmate is going to plant a couple of sprouting onions, though I'm not sure what they'll look like - hopefully go to seed for next year.

I had a lovely bike ride this morning through the park and churchyard. I've found if I pedal really slowly I can even manage going over a long, steep railway bridge without stopping.

I've seen acheap little woodworking kit on amazon, so I'm going to try "whittling" as a hobby and try to make little animals using wood from the woods behind the park - fallen branches etc.

Life's going well at the moment, but I know a downturn is possible at any time. I'm trying to keep myself well and occupied and take time out to rest and be lazy and enjoy the things around me (mindfulness moments). I'm hoping this good spell lasts a long time.
How are things in your garden? And how are you? Well, I hope.
God bless, Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi Sheila

I'm so pleased things have been better for you. Long may it last. You have done so well coping with extra work. I'm always pleased to hear from you when ever you can.

We went visiting relatives last week and came back with alsorts of cutting of perennials from their garden. We have kept them well watered so fingers crossed. They all look ok and we expect quite a bit of rain shortly so them and the other plants we put in a few weeks ago should give us a nice display eventually.

We have tried to get out abit but unfortunately my ankle was giving me agony so we had to cut short our day out. I've just had to rest it up for a while. I don't think they can offer me anything more than surgery for my feet now. I'm a bit scared/reluctant to follow it through.

It is strange how things seem to come into our lives at the right time. We didn't have much of a garden before we moved but now we can get outside to potter which is good for both of us. He does work in mysterious ways.

When your little garden comes into flower it will be spectacular. I've seen flowering cabbages as well as onion. In fact the family thought it hysterical that there was a cabbage in my birthday bouquet once.

Take care Sheila. Hugs. Xxx Chris

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Hope things are ok with you Sheila. Xxx Chris.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:30 am

Hello Chris and others on this post. It's good to say hello again

I haven't read all the entries on this thread but enjoyed reading about your cycling Gabry. I am just in the process of selling my bike. I've found that having gone for years without cycling I've totally lost my confidence. It's a shame but I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I have been quite stable lately. My energy levels continue to be poor but I can live with that. I bought some Bluetooth earphones to use with my smartphone and have been listening to French radio, I think that my French will improve eventually.

I hope to come on the site more regularly again to say hello. For now I'll go, I slept very badly last night.

Deb x

gabry

Postby gabry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi Chris & Deb,
Deb, it's lovely to hear from you again, I giggled at your answer to the spam post in French :lol:
Well, I'm still cycling, quite confidently now. I can even do one of those little bunny hops to get over kerbs and ride down our main road. We have lots of cycle paths here so it's quite easy to get around without using the roads.
My flatmate lost both DLA & ESA, she doesn't qualify for either. For some reason my HB was cancelled altogether because of that & my new job - the system is crap. So I've been robbing Peter to pay Paul to keep ahead. I've had to reapply for HB & it's still being loked at.
Works going ok (cleaning 4 hours Sat/Sun) but the other staff don't talk to me much. Social awkwardness makes it difficult for me to chat, so I guess I come across as a bit aloof. I've had an interview for hospital cleaning last week, unsuccessful cos no experience, and I've an interview for school cleaning tomorrow. I'm going to tell them about my mental illness so we'll see. I really don't know what's going to happen from here.
Our little garden has got a few more pots - small lilies, jasmine, honeysuckle - & some are flowering but no butterflies yet. The passionflower has really taken off and is loaded with buds. It's become my little refuge (the terrace, I mean) & it's lovely to sit out there amongst the greenery.
Take care,
Gabry x

Return to “The Garden”