Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Fresh air

Being outdoors...
christabel

Re: Fresh air

Postby christabel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

How are you gabry? Have you managed any outings?

Hope you ok. Been a rocky week for me plus phone line problems.

Take care. Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi Chris,
I've not had a very good week, either. I'm just fed up and can't seem to enjoy anything. Not depressed exactly, just out of sorts - bored, listless. It's my 3rd week of non-smoking so I figure it must be nicotine withdrawal. I've got support and I'm using those mint lozenges. I haven't been out and about much, just watched a load of dvds and done a few hours on Monday work experience.
And housework. Ho hum, guess things will pan out sooner or later!
Sorry, I had a lovely pic of daffs but can't upload them here, shame, it would be nice to have some pics from a few people to share.
Take care x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Hope you feel stronger soon Sheila. It is something that happens and sometimes we have to ride it out.

Well done. It is hard giving the ciggies up but you will feel benefit always. I could not believe how much money I was wasting. Try and give yourself a treat somehow. Magazine or bubble bath might be nice.

Sharing photos would have been nice. I'm not sure if I've seen some on here before.

X Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

I had an ok weekend, I got my wisteria potted up and the seedlings are growing fast despite the cold, wet and windy weather. I didn't bother labelling them so I've forgotten what they are apart from sunflowers, bulbs and herbs. Our little terrace is looking quite nice.
I've pretty much been hiding in bed for a month, just going out when I need to. Sometimes the world just gets too much.
I've been out on the bike a few times but ended up hurting all over after going too far, too quick.
I've got an interview today for a part-time cleaning job, so fingers crossed!
How are you, Chris? I hope you had a pleasant Easter weekend x

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks Sheila. I pleased you felt well enough to be here today.

How did the interview go? I found doing a bit of cleaning for a job part - time Quite nice. No taking your work home to worry about. I did it it at schools a while and then for neighbours I liked.

We had a quiet Easter weekend but I'm trying to keep steady and not get too uptight about long journeys over the next few days. If it means I get to see my sister who is quite poorly I will do my utmost to get there.

I'm pleased you are enjoying your garden. Think I will be able to focus on doing some when I know I've made my trip. Can't seem to do too many things when it's in the front of my mind. It is a lovely time seeing the new shoots poke through. We have a had a really chill wind here also.

Let us know how your doing when you can. Take care. Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Chris,
I got the cleaning job and celebrated with a cheeseburger & salad followed by chocolate fudge cake and 3 dollops of vanilla icecream at a local cafe (I did fleetingly think about the bubblebath...). Then I spent the afternoon totally slobbed out watching Independence Day. I'm a bit trepidated about starting, but the interview went really well. I think the success has a lot to do with all the support I've had over the last year - accepting that I've got an illness, taking the meds, taking courses in how to manage my illness and employment support. It's been a really tough year but well worthwhile in terms of outcome. I start this weekend, all being well.
I planted up some more flowers before reclining - lupins and borage. I'm looking for a small outdoor table & chairs just to finish the terrace off. The garden is about 20' x 10', so pots are what really gives it variety and makes it look bigger than it is. I saw an article about "living walls" where you make vertical surfaces into growing areas using shelves or trellis, so I'm on the lookout for something like roses or a clematis, maybe honeysuckle. The idea is to attract insects and birds. A small birdbath might look nice as well. I love to see blackbirds taking a bath, they seem to take such pleasure in it.
Take care
Sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi Sheila. Congratulations and well done you. You are going to need a physical job if you continue to eat like that. Lol.

I must admit I did not have to worry too much about diet when I was doing the cleaning jobs. I didn't need to keep a check on things because of the extra activity. I'm sure you will be fine. Like you I am coping a lot better by accepting the illness and being sensible in taking meds etc.

Well we are back from our travelling but the weather forecast is to turn really chilly again so I doubt very much if we will get any gardening done. They spoke of arctic blast by next week.
You have some nice plans for your terrace. We share a smallish garden at our new home and there is a birdbath. Occasionally the blackbirds have a bath but mainly it is the starlings. The other day there were eight of them in together. The water was spraying all over,we we in hysterics. Love watching the birds and supposed to be beneficial to you.

I managed our journeys really well. Bus, then an hour and a half train then next day two hour car then same back. Considering I used to find the twenty minute travel into town an ordeal at one time I'm pleased as punch. Didn't need calmy down pills at all. My sister looked well, considering she's not and has been having chemo. I was so upset after we came away after seeing her. I hated the fear I might not see her again. I shouldn't think that way but fate has been cruel to other I know so it is up most in my mind. I pray she is one of the luckier ones. She has not always had things easy but even so she has spent her life helping others.

I hope you manage to get out on your bike again. Sometimes we just need a little nudge to get the exercise going again.

Where we lived previously we had purple clematis growing on trellis, it took no looking after and was gorgeous in flower. Someone has planted a honeysuckle along the verge beside the street and the scent from it was beautiful. So you wouldn't go wrong with either or climbing roses.

Good luck with this weekend if it happens. Keep in touch to let us know.

Take care. Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Chris,
I started work last weekend, it was really hard work. I slept most of Sunday. I felt really inadequate and like I didn't fit in, lots of negative thinking but it did pass with some mindfulness thinking. I'm doing Sat & Sun 5.30am to 8am. I hate starting new jobs, there's always that "newbie" feeling.
I'm sorry to hear about your sister, I'll be sending up prayers for her for a full recovery. It must be tough seeing someone you love suffer.
I bought a honeysuckle from Aldi for under £2, and they had some beautiful purple clematis for a tenner - I might get one later. It's so cold & windy outside nothing is growing very well. I've had to bring some plants inside again.
I'm doing a course this afternoon "How to get a good night's sleep" at our local MH community centre. I've done a few courses and they're really helpful - mindfulness, really useful toolbox, anxiety management.
I am struggling at the moment with a lack of confidence mostly.
Arctic blast? I think we're already getting one here - the wind is unbelievably strong, people are walking about muffled up to the eyeballs in winter gear. Where are the calm, balmy, peaceful days of spring?
Take care x

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi Sheila

I can understand your unease at starting your new job. Nevertheless be very proud of yourself. Once to get the Feel for the place and the work you have to do it should get easier.
You are going to be up really early on a weekend. At least the mornings are going to be light for you. I'm not surprised you slept a lot after.

How did your course go? There doesn't seem so be anything going round here like that. I think our town is neglected. I did go to a mind run course a couple of years ago but there wasn't many eventually stayed and the other person that was left with me just wanted to deal with their problems which wasn't what the course was about.

We are just having hailstones lashing off the Windows tonight. Can't believe I was sitting out in the sun a few weeks ago when we had the warm spell. A lot of the plants had started to flower in the garden but I don't know what this battering will do to them.

Have you managed any exercise this week?

Take care. Chris

gabry

Postby gabry » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Chris,
Have I had any exercise lately? Pass...lol
The job's going great, but I'm whacked especially today as the flat needed doing as well. Anyway, it was all done by 11am with my flatmate's help. Sadly, she's lost her dla and failed to get pip. The woman who did her assessment was an absolute moron.
It's lovely today, sunny but with a strong wind.
The course I did was pretty good but didn't teach me much I hadn't heard about before. I'm doing one on COSSH this wednesday (hazardous chemicals thing).
I'm really glad it's a bank hol tomorrow if it stays warm I'll be potting up the rest of my seedlings, a few bulbs that turn into lovely little bushes of pink flowers - I can never remember names for plants. I need to get some more muck, though, I think I can get 2 bags of compost in my shopping trolley :)

Return to “The Garden”