Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
maisi

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby maisi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm a bit insulted we didn't get spammed by the mental health survey in the cooking based chat

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Yes, we got missed! I wonder why LOL.

Hello to you Maisi, Hello to you Chris, Hellonto you anyone else who may be reading. :D

First, I have a horrible head cold, I am sitting up in bed with a hat on and an inch or so of Vicks vapour rub on my chest. (Those not familiar with the great work of Vicks may wish to google that).

I very much blame my husband for this latest visitation of colds e.t.c. this house...he fails to see the link between good hand hygiene and the spread of germs (yuck!!).
I am so p&@£&& off with him right now and I stink of Vics and to add to it all I have to go in to my zero hour job today...I may wear my Jim jams under my work clothes :lol:

The above has nothing to do with cooking and comfort...except for the washing of the hands...can anyone think of a way I can get my husband to understand how colds and flu spread he is a University graduate for goodness sake :evil:
I am very cross

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Dear Maisi and Chris,
Re the cooking.
I have these bread rolls that are half cooked and then you Cook them for 15 minutes.
I had some of them with cheese yesterday night.
I have not been eating healthily or well lately.

Yesterday we had chips from the stinky chip shop up the road....I threw most of mine in the bin...they were disgusting.

Forgive me
My overall feeling is of annoyance and irritation...this is preferable to despair which is usually my default setting.

My nose is streaming and I look a sight and himself wants to know if I want to light the candles on my birthday cake....
Grrrrrrrr :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :?:

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:34 pm

If it was a sponge cake I would throw it at him but it is a fruit cake...I don't want to be done for gbh.

How are you folks doing with the Christmas preps e.t.c.?
Are you having turkey on the day or something else?

B

christabel

Postby christabel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 am

Hi to you both and forum friends.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions about cake. I think the problem is it has been overcooked a little so the outside edge seemed dark and strong tasting. I found if I ate some with the marzipan and icing it was much better. Have given chunks away to certain family members who would not mind so it has not ended in the bin.

I hope you are feeling better b. It is a shame you spent your birthday feeling rotten. I have been lucky to have a spouse who is pretty careful regarding hand washing etc. I have noticed that since his memory is not so good he sometimes goes to do something wrong. Like putting cooked stuff on a chopping board that he just chopped raw on. I have to keep an eye on him now.

Regarding Christmas. We have put a small tree up and the cards we've received but not bothering with much more. The family will call in on Christmas morning but then do their own thing. I will do a smallish turkey and a ham joint but just eat if and when we want.

It would be nice to have a Christmas with no family fallouts or upsets. Just watch this space. Lol.
How about you b? Are you doing anything? Is your daughter getting exited Maisi? Do you do Christmas church?
Take care x Chris

P.S. do you know anywhere I could get chutney to go with my ham?
Homemade of course. Have missed your escapades with tomatoes and toads.

maisi

Postby maisi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:43 am

Hi,

Ok you can both stop laughing over my late night 'uplifting songs' reminiscences- he was a sweet boy and it was mad going to such a big gig at that age. I had George Ezra's Budapest on a loop in my head this morning B- thanks, quite nice, really.

Yeah, I'm sorry too that you were feeling really rough on your birthday, and Happy Birthday. Your comment about fruit cake being a potential weapon reminded me of Terry Pratchett's dwarf bread, have you heard of that?

Was talking to someone today who regularly wore a hot water bottle under her jumper to college as they were so stingy with the heating, I was impressed with the tip- those things can leave the house if necessary.

Hand, colds and food hygiene is important to me even though I'm messy at home, my daughter's health is really unpredictable including around stomach bugs- they can possibly be a factor in an extreme secondary condition that has lead to transplant assessment in the past. I'm not obsessive but I can't bear lack of basics in this. I hear you about chopping boards, also food storage, stuff like that. But I don't worry about every possible source of germs, just the main things you shouldn't do.

xmas, much as i love it sounds a bit like eczema (thanks spellcheck). All I have to do food wise is 2 stuffings, but I'll do something good from scratch for both. Got the tree up as a proactive challenge to feeling down and not wanting to do anything and thinking of my daughter's needs that day. Let myself off some of the optional rituals this year. Family wise some of it looks great, some needs to be handled carefully. Yep, could be interesting, I hope not.

I'm winging it a bit this year cos of new mental health priorities, but that feels great in it's own way- my state actually matters to me, it's a good thing.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Dear Maisi
Hope to be back with a reply.
Hello to you Chris.

Food for thought, I have two turkey drumsticks in the fridge ....not turkey twizzlers...turkey's legs. Not sure what is going to happen to them....might look up 'jerk turkey'.

Thank you both for the birthday wishes....I generally like birthdays, but I had a cold. My husband is well...no husbands were harmed in my fit of birthday peak.

More later ....cooking anything unusual this year, like goose or duck or curry?...or duck curry? :shock:
B

maisi

Postby maisi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:40 pm

All very conventional for us- but then we're usually not conventional so a basic roast is quite a novelty. Had a good afternoon with an old friend who doesn't give a monkeys about xmas, and will have goulash (?) with her mum. Really shouldn't be on sane forum right now, but I like it, and hi. Averted really bad reactions today while handling all day responsibilities, am proud of myself for that. same community centre in a park where I got my mh phone support in the summer, was good to compare how I am now to back then. God I wish I had time to talk.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:00 am

Dear Maisi,
nice to hear from you, I appreciate that you are really busy.

I am actually in awe of you and your mental health journey, often when I read your posts, I forget that you are struggling, just like we all are. You seem to have a stabilising effect on me and probably on others here on the forum.

it is a strange but nice place this forum ---so public but also very intimate.

I am glad you came here, I am here to keep my self sane. I really enjoy writing here and I get a lot of help here. I feel glad when my experiences of difficult mental health can help other people.

just now cleaning the oven....don't ask. well do ask.

will reveal all. Might start a thread all about it. might call it Christmas Diaries 2018 :roll:

just rolling my eyes for the fun of it. :roll: :lol:

back shortly

B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Dear Maisi,
yes, I wish you had time to talk. but that's o.k. I like the idea of goulash on Christmas day.
Well-done for dealing with difficult situations. It sounds like there is a community centre where you go for support? that sounds promising.
looking forward to hearing from you when you have time.

B

Return to “The Kitchen”