Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cooking for Comfort

For a cuppa - and a chat...
maisi

Re: Cooking for Comfort

Postby maisi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:59 am

Hi,

B you made my day so much better with your really kind comments and friendliness, thank you. I'm in awe of you too, and all the forum posters, still being human while life makes you want to disappear or self destruct. I don't get depression at the moment but I viscerally hate it for what it steals from people. I think I'm getting a bit better at surfing the waves of nasty, I just live with this fear often, and it's either manageable or it turns into panic and kind of flashbacks. I'm trying meditation.

Because I'm spending xmas with my family as always (happily, esp this year without the probable narcissist for the first time- she'll be fine, has her back up people, and we won't need to tread on eggshells of repair the back door cos she's smashed it etc), today I've been wrapping toys, making double quantities chestnut and apricot stuffing, and a lemon and herb one- my kitchen smells ace. My daughter's excited but will need some sleep soon, we have a busy day tomorrow. Found time for the serious chat she needed (home counselling basically) it was good for her, but didn't take the pressure off as much as I hoped.

The community centre is a place for her, it's great, but it also gives me a bit of time off when they have a project on.

This is a great place to talk and hear about other people's experiences and approaches, it helps me a lot because of people like you. So what's up with your oven??

Happy Christmas to both of you x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:55 am

Dear Maisi
brace yourself...long reply...
Christmas salutations to you... in other words hello to you and a happy and peaceful Christmas. :lol:

How absolutely lovely to have a daughter! and how absolutely lovely to have a daughter at Christmas!! Well all the year round.... I know what I mean.
It must be amazing to be able to pass on you wisdom to her and it must be nice to watch her grow and accomplish things.

At Christmas I have some favourite films -
I guess know the book and the film and the book Little Women
I watch it every year, so will be thinking about you when I watch it today.
There are several versions of the film and I think there was a drama in several parts last year or the year before with Emily Watson, I like the version with Susan Sarandon and Winona Rider. When it came out I went to see it in a cinema in Stretham ...

It is good to have traditions at Christmas I guess, at the very least it keeps us in order.
I was watching the Miranda Christmas special where there has to be a big planner board to keep track of the Christmas niceness. It is funny, but I guess there is truth in the funny.

I am glad your mental health is better - it gladdens my heart and gives me hope too.
Yes, depression is a thief, it can steal careers, partners, family life...horrible illness.
but I think we can survive it and maybe even thrive and also help others to survive it too.

Reminds me of another Susan ---Susan Calman (lives with the depressions),
can i recommend her book
'Cheer Up Love: Adventures in depression with the Crab of Hate'
It is funny and insightful and about depression.

About the oven

the oven had not been cleaned. Not fault clause here.
Then we got a leg of pork, which I thought was boiling bacon, but it turned out that it needed to be roasted in the oven. so we did, so the whole house got filled with dark, acrid, smoke. :evil:

My husband said it was because the roasting tin was leaking!!!??? I think he just makes these things up.
The top oven was billowing smoke and the bottom oven in temperamental :lol:
The whole house got filled with a thin grey smoke..........

So yesterday I scrubbed then oven with neat washing up liquid. Now the top oven is fine and the bottom one is billowing smoke???!!

Just imagining the lovely smells in your kitchen... the lemon and herb in particular....lovely....
Last edited by betterinrecovery on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:56 am

p.s.
Dear Chris and Maisi
I have jars and jars of Green tomato chutney...if you are interested.....
:lol:

christabel

Postby christabel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi to you both.

How are the preparations going? I hope that you are 'all done' and maybe chilling with a glass of whatever brings you cheer.
We are hoping to just have a quiet time although probably the family won't believe we actually mean it.
Making things as easy as possible for us but still hoping to cook a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Your stuffing sounds amazing maisi. We are boring plain old sage and onion out of a packet this year and I have actually bought frozen sprouts. Would you believe marmite sprouts. I let you know how that goes.

Thought I would buy a ham to cook in Apple juice or cider in the oven. Didn't particularly look at the size when I put an order in and my goodness it's huge. I think possibly 3 jars of your chutney please b..
Menu in our house. Ham salad. Ham and chips. Ham sandwiches. Ham and egg pie. Ham curry?? Ham fritters and judging by the peculiar recipes the chefs do these days ham ice cream.

I'm sure we will get volunteers to eat it once they find out free food going spare.

I hope I find some peace to be able to come on to the forum over the next few days. Like your selves it has been and still is a big help.
Especially talking to people as nice as you two. Sending best wishes for the Christmas period. Xxx Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Chris!! lovely to see you!
wishing you a very happy and peaceful Christmas!
I think I will have some ham and egg pie (yummy have not had that in many a year) followed by ham ice cream.

Then will go very traditional and have mince pies with ham in them---have been watching a program about Victorian baking at Christmas on the BBC this morning and got the idea from that.

We cooked a couple of turkey legs the other day ---they looked like and tasted like lamb :shock: :?
but very nice for all that :lol:

best wishes
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Glad tiding to you Maisi! :D
B

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks Christabel and B! I hope it's been relaxed and indulgent, and that you have the peace and lack of pressure that we all really want and need.

This year was a fairly easy one for me, everyone present was in a good enough mood, my daughter said, as she does every year, it's the best xmas ever. Some more serious conversations/connections, which are good but scare me a bit, but I know it's healthy.

Tons of leftovers, of everything except the ham, which all went straight away! So while you enjoy ham on cornflakes, ham pasta, ham fritters, I will be having stuffing on toast, stuffing smoothies and stuffing stir fry.

Wishing you both a very happy aftermath/wind down,

Maisi x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Happy Stuffing fest to you Maisi!!!
Rats!! I was looking forward to ham ice-cream :lol:
how about stuffing and Turkey sandwiches?

Confession - had to work over Christmas. low paid, agency, cant say more.
pretty tired ...stressed but never mind.

Much cheered up by your Christmas news and the nice family Christmas. Really Glad.
Glad you had the best Christmas ever :D

B

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:00 am

Hooray. Whoopie. Yab a dab a do.

Sorry folks I'm just so glad it all over. We had a nice time just having the family for a visit and then spending the rest of the time peaceful. No boozy arguments or people throwing up.

We can have a good time without all that. Get happy on atmosphere
And good company.
We've had cold warmed up today. Leftovers. And they were yum.

So pleased you and you daughter had a good time maisi. Did she get plenty to keep her occupied over the winter months?

Hope you are still having a nice time b even if you've had to work too. Still deserve to have a treat or two. Or six it you're like me.

Happy boxing day. Chris

maisi

Postby maisi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:53 am

Hi both you kind helpful people,

I definitely relate to 'glad it's all over' Chris, even though we had a lovely one and I'll miss some of my close family as they go back to their own lives. Had a bizarre, strongly fearful day when I had some time to myself afterwards, I think just because I'd been v sociable and kept on an even keel for a sustained period, and had this other side waiting.

You sound like you struck a good balance Chris, I'm so glad you had that space for yourselves and are here in the mid-xmas week without having gone through the wringer too much, I hope that's how it feels?

Sorry you had to work B, you handle a lot of different pressures. I wish for time off for both of you, and for myself.

My daughter's a huge joy to me but also a challenge to my emotional and energy stability- she had a big meltdown last night when I wasn't there, scared us all, cut short my night off, compromised today's responsibilities. She's busy with her things she does, it's hard for her to handle, there's a lot of emotion around family even when it's not going badly. Truly this year Xmas was a relief, and a pleasure- babies, children, relatives who are like great friends, no disasters, but it's still a minefield.

Awww my girl loves that Little Women film B, I've learned a lot from her cultural tastes, genuinely. Have you seen Mermaids with Winona Rider and Cher- it's another one I have great affection for, through her.

Yes please for chutney, and for god's sake can everyone lay off the sprouts?

Maisi x

Return to “The Kitchen”