Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Cleaning at home

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Cleaning at home

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:06 am

I am not great at the cleaning, but I am doing my best.
I want to talk about it because it bothers me when the house it untidy and the carpet is grubby.
Things don't have to be perfect but I do like a clean enough loo.
Kitchen towel and disinfectant spray are my tools for a quick clean.
Any simple ideas for keeping things tidy and avoiding clutter?

betterinrecovery

Re: Cleaning at home

Postby betterinrecovery » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 pm

I am replying to my own post, but this is fine, I think.
Just now I have a wash on...Sheets and pillowcases and essentials, I am so glad that I do not have to do the wash by hand. There have been times when I have had no choice but to do a hand wash or look for a launderette.

As in above post, really glad that the loo is clean. This might sound strange. I have lived in countries where the loo is outside and I have lived in shared houses where you really only go to the loo when you really, really have to.
I am not obsessively clean, in fact, due to the depression, I find cleaning and keeping things tidy a real challenge.

I have a tendency towards collecting and cluttering. I understand that there are support groups that can help when this becomes a difficulty.
This is something I would like to tackle before I get much older...I don't want to be the old lady who gets buried under her own clutter.

Not sure where I am going with this post, hope other people can give me some advice...

rosehip

Postby rosehip » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi :-)

I too struggle with cleaning. I've never been a neat freak or particularly tidy, and now that my partner and I live in a static caravan the "stuff" is a nightmare!
I moved in with my partner nearly 3 years ago and brought a whole load of 'stuff' with me, she also has a lot of 'stuff', plus we have a small dog rug business, and a fair amount of animals in here.

My triggers are the carpet - which is beige :shock: - and the stainless steel sink... I scrub the sink so many times a day and try to hoover every day if I can - even if it is just a wizz over the bits I can see.

I agree that a clean (ish!) loo is a must! I find that if you have a quick wipe over each time you use it - like a flick around with the loo brush, a spritz of dilute bleach in the pan and wipe the back and cistern as the dog and cat hair seems to gather there! - it it much easier to keep on top of it.

Hope you are having an ok day today, I'm working my energy up to do the washing. We have a top loader which is brilliant, but requires energy to keep getting up and swapping the clothes over!

xxx

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for your reply Rosehip. :D You are brave I think, living in a small space.

You are right, the cleaninsh loo is good. This is not an obsession for me, it is just nice to be comfortable.
As I child, I worried when friends came to visit, we didn't have a nice loo and i knew that at some stage in a friend's visit they would ask to use the loo.
I lived with my Dad and cleaning the loo wasn't high on his priorities.

last year our loo didn't flush and we had to fill a bucket with water for the flush....we finally got a plumber to fix it...oh my! Plumbers are worth their weight in gold...that's why they can charge so much (LOL).

lately, I have joined a charity that does toilet twinning, so that someone, somewhere, can have a decent place to go.

The meds and the depression mean that cleaning is challenging, I do feel for people who have the difficulty of OCD and feel compelled to clean, that must be difficult too.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 pm

I still have a problem with piles of papers, projects, magazines, craft stuff...any ideas on making this bearable?

PureFrustr8d

Postby PureFrustr8d » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi there,

I recycle any paper I won't need again.

The other things you speak of go in clear plastic boxes and put away, like that if I want them I can see in the boxes what is where and there is no problem finding stuff.

You can leave your old magazines in waiting rooms, like that people have a variety of things to read and they'll be appreciated.

As for cleaning at home, spread things out for example one day for hoovering, another day for changing the beds and washing sheets/quilt covers/towels, another day your dark washing, the next lights/whites. Keep bleach and a toilet brush in the bathroom and clean whenever necessary. Spread things out, I find it saves my energy.

Peace

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you . Much appreciated.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 am

Well,
today is beds and vacuum cleaning.
and a quick spray to clean the loo.
The piles still remain. I find it hard to throw things away, especially if I bought something (possibly never using it) and it is still relatively new.
It bothers me, this is just one manifestation on not being o.k. just now.

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 pm

Don't try to tackle piles of sorting out all at once. Set yourself a small amount. The satisfaction is rewarding.

I have to try to keep on top of jobs else I get too upset especially if I hit a particularly bad spell.

X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 am

Thank you for your reply.
In my cabinet...
just a small victory. I got to clean my display cabinet. one of my charity shop finds. it is lovely and I found a matching book case to it. I started to collect teapot sets and cups.. just a 3 so far. I got them out of the cabinet and dusted them.
it was novel was that I used an old pair of woolen gloves for the dusting, I put the gloves on then it was just a matter of wiping my hand over the crockery and the shelves... lots of dust..

It was so satisfying.
I had a go at one of the shelves too. Yes, thank you, the key is not to over do it in one session.

Return to “The Kitchen”