Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Baking Session

For a cuppa - and a chat...
gabry

Baking Session

Postby gabry » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi all,
I'm totally skint this week, so as there's loads of flour etc in the cupboard, I thought i'd have a go at making bread & biscuits to save money.
Flapjack - manna from Heaven :)
Biscuits - a bit bland so put a choc button on each. Choc buttons were delish :D
Bread ... what's that song by Pink Floyd? Ah, Another Brick In The Wall :lol:

betterinrecovery

Re: Baking Session

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:00 am

V funny about your bread baking this could be an enlightening thread...(no pun intended). Laughing with you.
They say that baking is good for us that have depression e.t.c. It is the concentration you know, it is a mindful activity, with the bread and the cakes, you just have to concentrate and the concentration is a bit like the mindfulness meditation. and what is more there is a reward at the end.
The thing I didn't realise, is that home baked will never look like the stuff rolled out in the supermarket, pr what the experts make on TV, once I get my head around that I am O.K.

I nearly had to bake some bread myself yesterday...no bread in our local supermarket as no deliveries due to the snow.

Have you seen the film 'About a Boy' where the boy throws his mum's home baked loaf at a duck and sinks it? its a good film.
There is a bit about depression in it, will look it out again.
Very best wishes to you.
B
p.s. Wednesday channel 4 big bake programme...

gabry

Postby gabry » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi B,
I'd never thought of baking as a mindfulness exercise! I usually bake on a slob out day, doing my rock moves to some good music. (Aside... I was thinking my generation when we get into the care home stage of our lives will be chilling out to heavy metal, punk, glam & headbanging to the Quo.)

Yes, I got the dvd of About A Boy, I can't say I'm a fan of wots is name (I can't be bothered to get up and look - Hugh Grant? ) but I did enjoy the film.

I've got a really old Be-Ro cookbook & there's a recipe for emergency bread. I've just made a loaf and though the texture is a bit heavy & crumbly it tastes quite nice. I added some cinnamon to give it a stronger flavour.

1lb self-raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
2oz lard (I used marg)
1/2 pint of milk (I think a bit more to make for a less crumbly texture)
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice or cinnamon or whatever (optional)

Mix dry ingredients, rub in marg, add milk & mix to a smooth dough (no need to knead)
Shape into a ... er... round shape & flatten slightly.
Place into a greased 14cm springform sponge tin (it'll spread to the edges)
Bake for approx 1 hour at gas mark 4.

Re your other post about clutter, I use big plastic boxes to keep all my "treasures" - photos, etc & things that mean a lot to me. I keep them in the cupboard below the stairs.
Once a year I have a clear out of everything else. The rule is if I haven't used something for a year, I don't need it.
If I can't bear to let anything go, I just have a tidy up.

There's something you might be able to help me with... I've got really bad limescale in my loo, I've tried limescale remover, scraping it off, bleach. I saw a youtube clip of someone using a can of coke overnight (which is a problem as the loo's used frequently overnight). Any ideas for a quick acting solution?

Gosh, what a topic to discuss in the kitchen!!

Take care x

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Just saw your post, thank you.
I will have 'a go' at the cinnamon bread. I love cinnamon and mixed spice. I may have to add some raisins of sultanas.
re: the loo. dental cleaning tabs. put a few in and leave over night. scrub and repeat.

just think, the women (and men) of a generation or two before us would discus theses ideas as they had a cup of tea in each other's kitchens...or over the garden fence :D :D :D

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 pm

thank you for your ideas on clutter management. Cutter is the 'elephant' in the room of my home,
or elephant in the house.
so much so that it gets in the way, and can be a bit of a trip hazard.
I have to admit, I do have a problem and I can get very anxious about it.

Return to “The Kitchen”