Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Link between altruism & suicidal tendencies?

For a cuppa - and a chat...
andthistoomustpass

Link between altruism & suicidal tendencies?

Postby andthistoomustpass » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Humans display altruistic behaviour, sometimes putting the good of the extended family (the tribe) before their own or putting themselves out or at risk to help a stranger. There is certainly a powerful cultural component at work here, I wonder if there is a genetic predisposition for our brains to work this way too. It would give a powerful advantage to the tribe who worked together when the chips are down and make it more likely that their culture and perhaps genes would propagate and so this behaviour would spread.

What if suicide is related to altruism? I've lost count of the number of posters here who say everyone would be better off without them. I've often felt that the world would be a better place for others without me in it. Perhaps there is a switch in our brains which is activated when we feel that we are not good enough, that we drag others down, that we are a burden. Perhaps that switch leads to suicidal behaviours. Perhaps some of us have a lower threshold than others for that switch to be activated.

I suppose I am wondering if such a switch or complex of switches exists and, if it does, then does low self esteem and the esteem we perceive others hold us in activate such a switch or are (non-compelled) suicidal tendencies always a response to pain and lack of hope, merely an escape.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

gsb

Re: Link between altruism & suicidal tendencies?

Postby gsb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:36 pm

I have attempted suicide in the past and it is altruism that has gotten me beyond that. The desire to contribute, to make a difference, gave me a reason to want to live when I had no other. Charity work enabled me to help people, meet people and gave me a purpose and a feeling of self-worth. There's also a great feeling when altruism is reciprocated and you get a real boost!

So I think altruism is a wonderful thing and lessens suicidal tendencies. It's my favourite word too!
"There's no wreckage that's too broken to rebuild"

leahh

Re: Link between altruism & suicidal tendencies?

Postby leahh » Tue May 22, 2018 11:44 am

This is a really interesting question. Just based on my experience, I think altruism can really help to improve someone's mental health - but only if they're in a reasonably good place already. It's like they say - you can't look after others if you don't look after yourself first.

A couple of years ago, my grandma was seriously ill (dementia and other age-related health issues) and I was spending a lot of time trying to help my grandad to look after her. It was in the run-up to me moving to Australia, so I was trying to juggle my job, intensive driving lessons, packing up, finding a new place to live etc at the same time as looking after her and then later visiting her every other day in hospital. It was a really low period for me - obviously I was upset to see my grandma ill but I also felt horribly guilty that I couldn't do more for her. Whatever I did, it never felt like enough - even though I can see now with hindsight that I did help to make her more comfortable in some ways and helped to take the pressure off my grandad a bit. But at the time it didn't feel like that and I was constantly breaking down in tears and self-harming too. I think that I was trying to do too much and wasn't taking enough time to look after myself.

At other times, when I've been in a better place, I've found that helping others really gives me a boost, whether it's something formal like volunteering with kids at the local library or more informal like taking extra time to talk to a junior colleague who needs a bit of support while they settle into the job. I guess it's like a lot of things, like exercising and eating right and being sociable - you know that they can help you feel better, but sometimes you just can't bring yourself to do them. I think the key thing I've learned is to monitor myself every day and make sure that all the things I'm trying to do aren't running me down.

Return to “The Kitchen”