Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

The Spaminator

For a cuppa - and a chat...
andthistoomustpass

The Spaminator

Postby andthistoomustpass » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi all, just venting my frustration with the spam on this site. I can't ignore it but I also don't want to spend 20+ minutes to report it all (as I did today). I like this site and all of you but I can't be doing with all this FXXXING spam.

Isap

Re: The Spaminator

Postby Isap » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:00 pm

This forum sucks a rats ass for lack of supervision. You need to ignore all threads where starting dates were before this year unless its one of those few omgoing ones you recognise

Isap

ooby

Postby ooby » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm

This is one of the worst forums I've been on for letting spam through. It's been a problem ever since I started posting on the forums(different user names) in 2005/6.

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I think it is the fact they are so easily identifiable that pees me off. Resurrecting old threads + number at end of user name and links in text or signature. Why couldn't Sane identify these automatically with a script or something?

Any links to known spammers such as 'the worst English essay' people (surely they can't get any takers when their English is so poor) and the posts could be deleted automatically. Posts linked to regular contributors could be automatically ignored. A human would just have to glance through the remainder of the posts which match the spam profile for <5 minutes each day.

Maybe I'm taking a simplistic view of the solution but I can't see why Sane haven't sorted this if other forums have...

Of course, Sane don't appear to have had any mods in years so there is probably no one to take responsibility.

Oops looks like I should have posted this in the Rant room... :)

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:41 pm

I have vented about this in the past.
When I was on the Black Dog Tribe site before it merged with Sane there was some really good supervision and in fact some small intervention.
With Sane it has always felt like we just get on with things ourselves and have to report spam on a daily basis, I've got fed up with doing it .......... but i like the friendliness on here even though I'm about and not about here.

Surely there ought to be some sort of software that helps them with Spam on these forums as often if first posts have links in they are spam so could have rules such as, no links allowed until you have posted 20 times.

I would have also thought that Sane ought to occasionally post articles on the forum to bring our attention to etc. You wonder who Sane are working for sometimes

Return to “The Kitchen”