Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Slo cooker talk

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Re: Slo cooker talk

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

Hi!
today I am going to cook a pork and brown rice risotto in the slow cooker.
I got the recipe from the leaflet that came with the cooker. If it works out o.k. I will post the recipe here if not ...well then I will not.
i am having a slow start to the day... not by choice though. just could not get up today.... the depression, the depression...the depression...

ooby

Postby ooby » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:25 am

I have a small slo cooker. I don't use it that often. I use frozen veg as I have difficulty cutting/don't like peeling fresh veg including potatoes. With potatoes I use a tin of potatoes.
The cost of meat is another thing that puts me off. Supermarkets seldom sell the cheaper cuts of meat.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, I do find that supermarket meat is expensive. When I lived in a bigger city, I used to go to the market, where there were butchers who would cut the meat up in their shops and there was no wasteful packaging. I am thinking of asking someone to recommend me a butcher as I want meat, not the polystyrene package.

I forgot to put the rice in ..so we had a nice pork casserole, which I thickened with some flour. We had it with potatoes.
Which main meals are you cooking this week?

Cyprus

Postby Cyprus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

I have 3 slow cookers in my kitchen 2 sons and a hubby I know I’ve gone off track but make me smile xx I do have some organised friend that putting on befor Work and have dinner waiting when the get home cyprus

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am

About the rice pudding...
I watched Mary Berry make rice pudding the other day, it looked effortless; that's what experience does for you!
In one of my magazines, I read that a slow cooker uses about as much energy as a light bulb!
So for that reason I'm all for using my slow cooker more.
I have made a sort of curried pork stew, that I thickened at the end with flour.
I like the familiar, so have not delved into the book of recipes yet.

plus I do have a problem with weight gain, possibly linked to taking the medications and linked to the depression.....that means I like the comfort foods that lead to weight gain. well that is a subject for a different thread.

Best wishes
B

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:26 am

In the fridge I have
Beef mince
onions, carrots, peas, spring onions, 3 bell peppers, spring onions, and I have some potatoes.
I also have some cheese. Also have pasta.

I think the above lends itself to a cottage pie. if it was just me, I would lean towards spaghetti Bolognese - that would last me until the end of the week and I could cook that in the slow cooker.

A pasta bake might be another good idea.

I have quite a few tins of fruit in juice.

I have depression quite badly, so I have a shorter than usual attention span and I need to provide a meal for my partner too.

This is my challenge. I hope to use slow cooker to save time and energy.

With depression small challenges like this seem insurmountable. :?

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:48 am

In the end we had simple fayre:
mince and onions with carrots and Broccoli.
The mince was a bit fatty and I has to strain it to get the fats out... :)

christabel

Postby christabel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi B

We were the same as you and had mince in the fridge plus a few veg so I made a bit dinner. They have said for years about avoiding fat but now they say it was wrong. I do believe that is why I have trouble now that I am older to try to keep my weight down.

If you buy a lower fat mince it has very little taste as they say all the flavour is in the fat.
I know in my mind that eating everything in moderation is the key but it is sooooo hard putting it into practice. Brownie points for having some oily fish twice this week. :o

Hope your doing ok. X Chris

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:10 pm

oily fish is good what kind did you have?
I love mackerel but my partner can't stand it!
Smoked mackerel --yummy.
I don't eat as well as I could,
never mind.
mince is often our 'go to meal', yes we do need a bit of fat,
I think what i bought was a bit cheap as it was swimming in the suff.
Do you remember when people used to skimm off the fat for dripping?

B

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 pm

We have been having mackerel but I had to buy it in tins with tomato and a bit of chilli in. Hubby is not a fish lover but he will have that on some toast. It's not bad actually.

We used to love the dripping on bread off the joint after it was cooked. I think our lot would think I was trying to poison them if I tried to give them it.
When I was at the high school I used to go to my grandparents at dinnertime. With them having an allotment we used to have homemade broth with dumplings, meat, veg and Yorkshire puddings and then suet pudding. (ie spotted dick) with butter and sugar on top. All homemade. My goodness it's a wonder a could walk. I've just got to smell fresh bread or look in the bakers window now and I put 2pounds on.

I am finding it difficult at the minute. The extra meds they have put me on have got me craving carbs and sugar which is never a good idea. Hubby can eat anything and not put weight on. Grrrrrr.

Take care. X Chris

Return to “The Kitchen”