Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Slo cooker talk

For a cuppa - and a chat...
betterinrecovery

Re: Slo cooker talk

Postby betterinrecovery » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

Hi!
today I am going to cook a pork and brown rice risotto in the slow cooker.
I got the recipe from the leaflet that came with the cooker. If it works out o.k. I will post the recipe here if not ...well then I will not.
i am having a slow start to the day... not by choice though. just could not get up today.... the depression, the depression...the depression...

ooby

Postby ooby » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:25 am

I have a small slo cooker. I don't use it that often. I use frozen veg as I have difficulty cutting/don't like peeling fresh veg including potatoes. With potatoes I use a tin of potatoes.
The cost of meat is another thing that puts me off. Supermarkets seldom sell the cheaper cuts of meat.

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, I do find that supermarket meat is expensive. When I lived in a bigger city, I used to go to the market, where there were butchers who would cut the meat up in their shops and there was no wasteful packaging. I am thinking of asking someone to recommend me a butcher as I want meat, not the polystyrene package.

I forgot to put the rice in ..so we had a nice pork casserole, which I thickened with some flour. We had it with potatoes.
Which main meals are you cooking this week?

Cyprus

Postby Cyprus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

I have 3 slow cookers in my kitchen 2 sons and a hubby I know I’ve gone off track but make me smile xx I do have some organised friend that putting on befor Work and have dinner waiting when the get home cyprus

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am

About the rice pudding...
I watched Mary Berry make rice pudding the other day, it looked effortless; that's what experience does for you!
In one of my magazines, I read that a slow cooker uses about as much energy as a light bulb!
So for that reason I'm all for using my slow cooker more.
I have made a sort of curried pork stew, that I thickened at the end with flour.
I like the familiar, so have not delved into the book of recipes yet.

plus I do have a problem with weight gain, possibly linked to taking the medications and linked to the depression.....that means I like the comfort foods that lead to weight gain. well that is a subject for a different thread.

Best wishes
B

Return to “The Kitchen”