Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Slo cooker talk

For a cuppa - and a chat...
ooby

Slo cooker talk

Postby ooby » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Does anyone here have and use a slo cooker? I've got a small and a large one. I have used neither for ages.
By the time I have bought the meat or fish it seems to be cheaper to buy a ready meal.
I know people talk about mince,especially soya mince, as a cheap alternative but (a)dried soya mince when cooked is revolting (b) I am not sure mince of any kind is a good choice for a slo cooker.

Another problem I have is I usually end up with quite a watery gravy.

What kind of things do you cook in your slo cooker?

gabry

Re: Slo cooker talk

Postby gabry » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi ooby,
I've used a slo cooker for years. I've never used it to cook mince, though. (I can't stand soya mince, yeesh!) I use cheap cuts of meat like braising steak and chicken (cheap to buy a whole one and chop it up). The meat comes out really tender. I seal it first by frying for a minute until just the outside is cooked on both sides, then chuck it in the slo cooker. Veg in first, then meat and enough very hot water to cover. I've never cooked fish in it as it cooks very quickly, though i have made seafood soup using a tin of tuna, shrimps etc. If you want a thick gravy try adding lentils and chickpeas, or when everything's cooked, strain off the liquid and thicken with gravy granules. I add all sorts of herbs, depends what sort of flavour you want. Curries come out ace. Dumplings only take about an hour or so to cook in the slo cooker, just chuck 'em in about an hour before serving. It's a really cheap way to cook. I make soups, casseroles that sort of thing.
Gabry x

christabel

Postby christabel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 am

Hi ooby

Not tried it myself but my sister cooks mince with tinned tomatoes, onion and mixed herbs in her slow cooker to make a sauce for pasta. Spaghetti Bolognese.

Granddaughter makes broth. Diced vegetables with bacon pieces and broth mix lentils.

I'm like gabry and tend to do stews etc but you could do cheaper joints of meat ie brisket which would tenderise it.

I think that soya mince etc needs a lot of other strong flavour added or it rank. I have made some passable meals from it though.

If you need any advice on how to do a particular meal ooby just Let us know.

Take care. Chris

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:26 pm

ive used a slo cooker with Quorn chunks
it seems to marinate the Quorn really well and make for a tasty rather than cardboard meal, especially good for strong flavours like curries

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:31 pm

A cardboard meal? Mmm yummy! My favourite dish is corrugated manila* cutlets with a generous dash of asafœtida sauce. :lol:

* with staples removed.

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:53 pm

mihaela wrote:A cardboard meal? Mmm yummy! My favourite dish is corrugated manila* cutlets with a generous dash of asafœtida sauce. :lol:

* with staples removed.

:lol: :lol:

Return to “The Kitchen”