Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

The next few weeks

For a cuppa - and a chat...
count-brakula

Re: The next few weeks

Postby count-brakula » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi Chris,
Wow, your great granddaughter sounds an absolute joy in every sense of the word. I hope that your self-imposed quarantine can end soon and you can get back to making a big fuss over her.

I've been doing ok in general, thanks for asking. Mood wise, the down patches are mercifully brief and haven't been particularly intense. At the moment, I'm trying to take advantage of a window of opportunity to at least make a small dent in my gargantuan backlog of things that need doing.

I have to admit that I ended up second guessing myself about the whole squid thing.
My line of thinking went from being certain dolphins eat squid, to being a little unsure about it, all the way to the down right bizarre, like; maybe dolphins are cephalopod-intolerant and squid gives them really bad gas. Leaving me with no choice other than rechecking the facts on the whole thing. Oh well, at least now I can say with a degree of certainty that squid is definitely on the menu for dolphins and porpoises.

Anyway, I hope you get over this bug quickly and start feeling better soon.

Take care,
Mike.

christabel

Postby christabel » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:41 am

Hi Mike

Good to hear from you. Hope you are ok.

Reading your theory about dolphins, I had this picture in my head of dolphins suffering from gas looking like torpedoes being blasted through the sea. Jet propelled so to speak.

I love to see nature programmes with them. I got to pat one once at a sea life centre I think it was Scarborough but in retrospect I would rather they be free. If I remember rightly I don't think the condition were ideal. Long time ago.

I still haven't much energy and a trip to the shops today was not pleasant. Absolutely no Christmas spirit anywhere. No Carol singers or bands. I just find it an ordeal now.

After having a good few nights of me falling asleep at nine with me being poorly I'm still up tonight at 3.30 and doubt very much if I'm going to go off.
At least I have had some good nights. Are you still up most of the night? Have you managed to make a start on the jobs?

Take care x Chris.

Surgery after Christmas now..

count-brakula

Postby count-brakula » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi Chris,

Firstly, I'd like to wish you a happy Christmas, I hope it will be as stress-free as possible.

I've had a fraught day today, my mother's had a bad turn with her legs and hips. We had to get her an out-of-hours doctors appointment at the hospital. She's doing better now, but still, it's a big worry. I'm still a bit wired at the moment, I'll write again when the dust settles and I can think more clearly.

Take care,
Mike.

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi Mike

Thank you for the Christmas wishes. We are just doing our own thing,so to speak, so it has been not too stressful so far. We did have the family visit this morning before they all went in different directions to have their Christmas lunches.

I'm sorry to hear that your mum is not too well. Does she have problems with her legs ongoing. I hope that she continues to improve and you have managed to enjoy some of the festivities.

Look after yourself. These things can take a toll on us even though we think we have coped.

Best wishes. Let us know how thing are when you can. X Chris

count-brakula

Postby count-brakula » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:12 am

Hi Chris,
My apologies for not responding sooner, I did manage to keep myself fairly upbeat for Christmas and Boxing day, and would have to say that things went quite well for those two days. Unfortunately, the extra stress and worrying about my mother finally got the better of me. My mood took a massive nose dive, thankfully, it seems to have run it's course and I'm back on a reasonably even keel now.
In answer to your question, me and my sister have been pretty much pleading with her to see a doctor about this for the past few years. She finally saw her GP about it a few weeks ago and went for an X-ray last Friday. The doctor she saw on Saturday, when she was in a great deal of pain, thought it was most likely caused by the physical strain of being positioned correctly for the X-ray. The painkillers she was prescribed are helping and I've also managed to convince her to get a wheelchair, she was understandably resistant to the idea.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that your Christmas went smoothly, and I hope you have a happy New Year.
Take care,
Mike.

Oh yeah, I found your idea of jet propelled dolphins hilarious, the mental image it conjures of them darting around the ocean leaving a trail of stinky bubbles in their wake, really takes some beating!

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:30 pm

Thanks Mike

So pleased you have recovered. Know from experience how delayed reaction can affect us.

Hope your Mum continues to improve and gets sorted with results from x rays. I don't know how I would feel about having a wheelchair. Luckily it's not too hilly round here because I think a few would be tempted to let me go at the top. Maybe a little nudge to help. Haha.

If it's need because of pain I wouldn't object. One of my family have one, and they are just say over fifty, because of the pain.

Hope you go into the new year on a good note. Best wishes.

X Chris

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi Mike.

Just letting you know you are in my thoughts. The fact you haven't been on much makes me think you are probably having a rough patch. Hope things with your mother are ok.

Take care. Sending best wishes.

Don't worry about replying. I know what it is like.

P.S. sisters op went well. Removed quite a lot of tumours but no major organs. X Chris.

count-brakula

Postby count-brakula » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 am

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the update on your sister's op. I'm so glad to hear it went well, and thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, it means alot.

My mum has got the results of her Xray, and she needs a hip replacement. It's pretty much just bone grinding against bone at the moment. I seem to be spending my days trawling the internet for mobility aids, not exactly fun, but the way I see it, the more independence she has the better.

Fortunately, (or perhaps unfortunately, depending on perspective) the wheelchair I picked out for my mother has brakes that she can use, so she can't be 'accidentally' sent hurtling down what passes hills here in Norfolk.

I don't want to jinx things, but I think I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel, things are finally starting to look up again. My aunt had a hip replacement just this week, and the last news from her neck of the woods was she's doing really well, so that's a relief. Also one of the cats needed a tooth extracted, something that required full anaesthetic, which is always a risk. She's doing fine, so that's another worry I can cross off the list. So with any luck, I'll be able to be a little more active on these boards than I have been of late.

Anyway, I hope things are ok for you, or at least as good as they can be.

Take care,
Mike.

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:58 am

Hello Mike,
I'm pleased to hear that things are looking up for you and your cat, but sorry to hear about damaged hips. One thing I feared when struggling up the steep hill in Yorkshire in the ice was a nasty fall. I slipped once and fell flat on my back, but amazingly broke nothing - not even my cat carrier whose furry occupant didn't enjoy it one little bit. Here on the Lancashire coast everywhere is as flat as a very flat pancake (apart from the sand dunes) - even less hilly than those Norfolk mountains!

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi Mike

Good to hear from you. It's not nice when then the old bones start giving you gip. Hopefully your mum gets sorted soon, I have heard good reports of hip ops, so fingers crossed. That's great news about your aunt.

I'm pleased you feel you are moving forward now. You sound like me that I feel a lot better when I know I have ticked off the list things that are a worry.
I wonder why sometimes it seems as though worries just line up to join the queue and follow on in, piling up.

Your poor little cat. I hope she is ok. It is getting to sound like an episode of casualty between the two of us. Luckily it's going ok. My sister had a bit of infection following op but is feeling better after antibiotics. She is waiting for more chemo so I'm keeping everything crossed for outcome.

I'm not too bad thanks Mike. I had a rough few days last week Where the depression hit badly but after a good old cry I've started to pull round. Apart from bellyache from eating too much today. Was out for lunch and can't seem to cope with larger meals now. Been having mints and lemonade to try and settle things, pity help hubby later.

Take care and hope we hear from you soon. If you can get on for all these spams. Haha.

X Chris

Return to “The Kitchen”