Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Did anyone see 'The Worlds Maddest Job Interview'?

For a cuppa - and a chat...

Did anyone see 'The Worlds Maddest Job Interview'?

Postby Love » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:17 am

I watched it on 4od and it was really interesting. I thought it was an informative programme and that it made the employers think twice about their preconceptions about mental illness and employment.

For those that didn't see it, they took a sample of people, some of whom had suffered with some form of mental illness, and some of whom had not. They gave them a series of tasks, which were observed by a panel of interviewers, and a panel of psychiatrists. The interviewers and psychiatrists were in separate rooms. The psychiatrists had to try to identify who had suffered from mental illness, and what they had suffered from while the interviewers had to choose who to employ based upon the candidates performances in the tests.

Only after the interviewers had chosen their top 3 candidates, was it revealed who had suffered from what.

I wonder how I would have faired in the tests they did and whether or not my bipolar would have showed up to the psychiatrists....
Love

Re: Did anyone see 'The Worlds Maddest Job Interview'?

Postby helenpiper » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi, yes I did see it. Fasinating but quite worrying that the pannel all said they probably wouldn't give them the job if they new their history before interviewing them. I hope opinions do change as I am worried about taking any time off with my depression/anxiety in case it goes against me when applying for other jobs.
helenpiper

Postby Avalon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:50 pm

I must try and watch that it sounds really interesting.
Avalon

Postby judithj » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:00 pm

anyone with a mental illness who has ever applied for a job with these organisations and not got the job should now sue these employers for breach of Equality Act: the employers have stated their prejudice openly, and such discrimination is illegal, hugs, Judith xxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlLh1H3PLtU
"Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe We shall overcome, some day."
judithj

Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby helenpiper » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Judith, Yes completely agree with you. Should NOT be happening. They wouldn't have the same attitude if someone had a broken arm.
helenpiper

Return to The Kitchen