andthistoomustpass

Re: word association

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 am

You say tomata, I say tomato

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 am

Tristan-da-Cunha

Rex Mundi. I did a google and found some rather strange websites written by people with a desperate urge to share their beliefs and secret 'knowledge' prised from careful study of everything looking for specific patterns which, entirely coincidentally, they then see. Your duality clue saved the day. I will assume, unless corrected, that you are referring to the Rex Mundi of the dual Christ / Satan mythos rather than the devil of the Cathars or Cyrus The Great? Even if not, it has been interesting looking for answers, a whole new subculture! The Cathars sound cool and The Arcana Wiki looks interesting too 8-) Thanks

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:33 am

matata? tomata? Tristan-da-Cunha? :?

This thread has gone way off the rails since ATTMP got involved. I needs to be dragged into line before it's too late! :o

Just because I gave a fancy Spanish word it doesn't mean that any old Spanish-sounding words can be used by association. To exemplify - if I said 'frog'' and someone replied 'colander' there's clearly no connection apart from them both being English words containing the letter 'o'. There are holes in the reasoning - this is word DISsociation. (I'd naturally assume that the one who replied was a troll off his or her trolley). This cunning ploy contravenes the Rules as laid down by the Forum Committee (see Section 19j, claws ixi, paragraph 0 "Association by language, prohibition". Rules are here to be obeyed without questioning, qualifying or quandarising. :|

As for Rex Mundi, felicitări!! :P Rex can also be seen as the Zeitgeist. The Cathars are one of my very few minor interests, and in the Languedoc there is still a thriving neo-Cathar church, founded by Déodat Roche, a friend of a friend. They have a sort of Manichaean-Buddhist take on Christianity. Here's the great man himself parling en French in the year of his death, 1978, in a district I know very well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBYpwIAvJxc

Back to the camelid infested plains of Peru now: Guanaco

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am

Guantanamo

I'd naturally assume that the one who replied was a troll off his or her trolley
Very insightful :D BTW you have obviously never heard of the Spanish national pastime of pushing a frog through a colander

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Guantanamo? The connection is tenuous to say the least. Oh well... two can play that game. Guano Phosphine oxide, sole export of the Kingdom of Redonda. I was once invited by King Leo I, the reigning Absolute Monarch to join the RAFIA - the Redondan Armed Forces Intelligence Agency, but as the nation was riven with disputes between rival claimants to the much-coveted crown, I thought better of it and declined His Dissolute Majesty's kind offer.

FYI I also just happen to be the Grand Inquisitor of the Frog Decolanderising League (Barcelona Lodge), a secret society dedicated to a even more secret Cause, that cannot be disclosed to the profane - on pain of an agonising death. All I can say is that your flippant remark has contravened our pre-eminent Rule 0 and your days on this earth are numbered. :evil:

amaya

Postby amaya » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Vitamin C

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 am

Oranges!

Miha

Your objections have been noted but, be fair. I normally enjoy and cope well with your meanderings across linguistic boundaries but what else, other than spelling, do you expect me to associate with a new word from another language?

BTW, my brain really does make odd connections.
Guanaco, Guantanamo and Guano are clearly linked because Guantanamo and Guanaco are both crap without AC (air con). Is that an unusual connection to leap to? Probably but hey ho.

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 am

Medlars (well bletted)

andthistoomustpass wrote:Oranges!

Portocale should be spelt appropriately, i.e. Oranges, they are not black, but ORANGE, hence the name... but otherwise acceptable according to the Rules, however, I can't see the remotest connection between guano and vitamin C, not that I've checked. I wouldn't fancy eating guano...

Your objections have been noted but, be fair. I normally enjoy and cope well with your meanderings across linguistic boundaries but what else, other than spelling, do you expect me to associate with a new word from another language?

Sorry, but Rules are Rules. I only uphold them with a rod of iron - I don't make them. You need to take your quibbles to the Management through the usual Channels. :|

Guanaco, Guantanamo and Guano are clearly linked because Guantanamo and Guanaco are both crap without AC (air con).

Very perceptive of you, I must say.... I was wondering how long it would take you to spot that one. 8-)

amaya

Postby amaya » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Pedlars

amaya

Postby amaya » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:29 pm

The game is the first thing that comes into your head, right?
I have no idea what your word meant, but it made my head go in a fruit direction and vitamin C was the first word to form in there..

Return to “Smiley Room”