Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Swimming for therapy

Whatever makes your day a better one...
pauley

Swimming for therapy

Postby pauley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Eighth day in a row I have been swimming after not being in the water for 20 years. Planning on going every day after work.

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: Swimming for therapy

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 pm

Nice one

I get swimmers mouth as I call it if I go every day - from the chlorine

Maybe when the time is right consider some sport with a social element also - for therapy and variety
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Thank you for this thread,
I think I will go back to the swimming in the new year, up until now I have been volunteering on the women only swim evening , but it is time to do something for me.
but once a week...
I can't manage every day... so well-done to you!
Can't afford it anyway. :lol:
Best Regards
B

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Passes can be great value

And then what happens is that you go more because you do not think - do I really want to be spending £4 etc going for a swim today

You just do it and for "free"

Gym passes are often a lot cheaper now than they used to be ditto swim passes get pulled in also
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

maisi

Postby maisi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 pm

I swim for free as a carer (well it costs me £1.50 on the bus, but one time I found a pound in the locker). But yeah it's got expensive, and membership requires a definite commitment to make it worth it. Did my lengths today. I especially enjoy the band of sunlight underwater- so glad I bought goggles, it's a real treat. I have to make myself go, but it's been such a help- B don't be a martyr, have some time for yourself. Paul how are you?

betterinrecovery

Postby betterinrecovery » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks Maisi,
yes, will pack in the volunteering for a while and do the swimming. once I am in the water I really love it.

Upwards, I do believe I have a pool pass somewhere - have to look for it.

got a new costume for Christmas last year, but have never used it :oops:

Best wishes
B

pauley

Postby pauley » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Hey Maisi
I am ok, still swimming every day, starting to see some muscles and a definite trimming of the waist! Back to a 32 inch waist, don't think I have been that since I was in my 20's. Just wish it would help my thinning hair grow back!
It really helps me shut out the crap, it creeps back, but time in the water seems to force it away for a while.
Walk my 2 dogs twice a day, swim, teach, funny, I seem to function just fine when I am doing "stuff", it is the down time when it all gets very dark. Sometimes it gets too much, and I wonder what it would be like to drown in a warm pool, all alone watching the night sky through the water.
Strange how these feelings just pop into my head.

Return to “Sunshine Room”