Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

A Helpful Method for Better Sleep

Whatever makes your day a better one...
curiously-drew

A Helpful Method for Better Sleep

Postby curiously-drew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi all.

I wanted to share something with you, I've discovered a useful way to turn off my overactive mind at night and sleep well. Perhaps this will work for you too!

Before I discovered this method I would lay in bed and think, thought would turn in to worry - imagining worst case scenarios and such things, and this endless ruminating would have me waking exhausted come the morning.

It still happens from time to time, however, on most occasions I now sleep much better than ever before.

So here it is. I still allow myself 30 minutes or so to think (taking extra care to think positively) but then --once I've found a comfy position-- I visualise stepping into the garden on a humid night, I hold my arms out at my sides, I levitate slowly and I go up, and up, and up; and then I glide effortlessly through the clouds, looking at the city lights below. All I can hear is the soft whistle of the wind, I turn my body and I swing through the sky, I pull my arms in to my sides, and I dart upwards and downwards like a dolphin. Sometimes I'm not above a city at night, but I'm circling a beautiful small isle that has a lighthouse, and a series of earthen archways, and I pass around and through these beautiful structures like an obstacle course.

It's often the last thing that I can remember when I wake, I'm a little happier in the morning too. I've found this to be incredibly effective for me, and I wanted to share this wonderful tool for better sleep, with all of you.

Please let me know if you try this and it works for you too. Do you have a trick of your own for getting to sleep? I'd love to know ; )

maisi

Re: A Helpful Method for Better Sleep

Postby maisi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi Drew, don't know who you are but that's brilliant advice. I was just picturing you, or me, or anyone reading your post, sailing through the clouds the way you described, and that helping with getting to sleep. And what a good visualisation anyway, thanks.

My tips are: breathing as if you are asleep, as in deep inhales, deeper exhales, do that for a while, and surprisingly enough, very slowly calmly allowing random words to come into you head- it usually only takes less than 10 words before sleep.

curiously-drew

Postby curiously-drew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks Maisi, I like your method too. Sometimes it just helps to switch the mind off and let naturally random thoughts come.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 pm

There are loads of go to sleep podcasts out there

Plus apps

They do it for me - listening to someone else occupies my brain and then are busy doing "tricks" to get me off to sleep

Track To Relax - free is myy current podcast of choice
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

Return to “Sunshine Room”