Claiming ESA or PIP

Claiming ESA or PIP

We know many of the people who contact SANE find the benefits system confusing and stressful to navigate.

If you want to better understand how to apply for employment and support allowance (ESA) or personal independence payment (PIP), then more information is now available on the web here.

There you will find two web-apps, one for ESA and one for PIP, that offer guidance, advice and support on most aspects of the application process. You can even try the sort of questions you may be asked by an assessor.

These two web-apps, created by seAp, with support and funding from Comic Relief, The Legal Education Foundation and Neontribe, are fully independent and are completely free to use. They have so far helped more than 300,000 people.

Just click on the buttons below to visit these useful web-apps.

This site covers employment and support allowance, the benefit for people who can’t work because of illness or disability.


This site covers personal independence payment, the benefit for people of working age who have a long-term health problem or disability, to help meet the extra costs they face.