Would you like to help SANE campaign for change by sharing your experience of mental illness? By becoming a media volunteer, you can help play a vital role in our efforts to change attitudes, reduce stigma and end discrimination.
If you suffer with a mental illness, or are a family member, friend or carer of someone who does, we would welcome the opportunity to be a platform for your story in the media.
At SANE we are regularly contacted by journalists who are looking to interview people with particular experiences of mental illness. Your first hand experience can help articulate the reality of mental illness and raise awareness of this often taboo subject.
We understand that it may be difficult to talk about your mental health, so we wanted to reassure you that:
• You can tell as much or as little about your experience as you’d like
• You can choose which media outlets you would like to participate with (print, radio or TV)
• You can remain anonymous or use a pseudonym when sharing your story
• You do not have to participate with every media opportunity that your experience matches
• SANE will support you both before and after the interview
• You can give permission for SANE to use your story without committing to interviews yourself
• We will only pass on your details to journalists with prior permission
SANE campaigns for improved access to inpatient and community psychiatric services, and a better response in crisis. To support this, we are interested in the experiences of individuals, whether patients or family members, who have had difficulty in accessing help or who have encountered other problems. We are also interested in hearing about cutbacks or withdrawal of local services. Please get in touch if you have experienced, or care for someone who has experienced, any of the following:
We also would like to hear from people who feel their mental health has been adversely affected by financial difficulties or online/ social media.
Please email our Media Team via firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.